University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
The State of Wisconsin Collection

Page View

Curtiss-Wedge, F.; Jones, Geo. O. (ed.) / History of Dunn County, Wisconsin
(1925)

Chapter II: Early lumbering operations,   pp. 7-19


Page 18

HISTORY OF DUNN COUNTY
The Eau Galle operations of the firm continued with many enlargements and
improvements to the mill until 1874 when through the scarcity of timber on the
Eau Galle, the further operation of the mill was not thought profitable and oper-
ations were discontinued. The firm however, continued to operate a flour mill in
connection with the mercantile business they had established. In 1874, Mr.
Carson removed to Eau Claire where he died in January, 1898.
Samuel Lamb, a veteran of the Black Hawk war, came to the Red Cedar country
in 1834 and settled at what afterward became known as Lamb Creek Falls. Lamb's
wife was Susan Margaret De Marie, a daughter of Louis De Marie, a pioneer of
Frenchtown, opposite Chippewa Falls. Arthur McCann and Hiram S. Allen also
married daughters of this sturdy French Canadian. In 1835, Lamb and his wife
settled at Cedar Falls, above what is now Menomonie, and their first child, Char-
lotte, was born there in 1838.
Shortly afterward Lamb built a house near the junction of the Red Cedar and
the Chippewa, and opened a saloon. It became a noted resort for the lumbermen
and hunters who roamed the region. The Lamb settlement later came to be called
Dunnville.
The second child of Mr. and Mrs. Lamb was born at Dunnville in 1840. This
child, Henry, is still living at Brookville, St. Croix County, this state. Lamb was
a carpenter and millwright. He not only built several houses at Dunnville, but
also worked on some of the mills elsewhere in the valley. In 1841 he sold out to
his brother-in-low, Arthur McCann, and moved to Brookville, St. Croix County.
There he met his death by falling from a mill which he was building. Arthur,
Stephens and Dan McCann had come to the valley in 1840, the year previous.
They were natives of Marietta, Ohio. Arthur McCann was murdered by a man
named Sawyer in 1843. His wife returned to her parents and afterward married
George P. Warren, first county clerk of Chippewa County. Philo Stone took pos-
session of the tavern. Philo and Roswell Stone, brothers, had come from Vermont
in 1838 and engaged in hunting and fur trading in this region. Amos Colburn was
another early settler, and the settlement was for a while called Colburn's. He
erected a frame building and used it as a tavern. In 1843 John Macauley seocded
nearby.
Dunnville was tentatively designated the county seat of Chippewa County in
1845 and was made the county seat of Dunn County in 1854. The temporary
county building was burned in 1858, and on January 1, 1861, the county seat was
removed to Menomonie.
The murder of Arthur McCann is vividly recounted by Randall. He states
that McCann had formed a partnership with J. C. Thomas, who proceeded to build
a mill then known as the "Blue Mill" midway between the present cities of Chippe-
wa Falls and Eau Claire. McCann continued to live at Dunnville. They had
-employed on the work for some time, a man by the name of Sawyer, who when his
time was up, went down to McCann's for a settlement, after which McCann pro-
posed cards, at the same time treating freely.
The game went on until evening, when some dispute arose the later threw a
scale-weight at the former, whereupon he repaired to the cabin of Philo Stone,
near by, carefully loaded his rifle, went back to the door of McCann's house and
called him; on his appearance at the door Sawyer took deliberate aim, and McCann
fell dead on his own door-step, the victim of a drunken brawl. Sawyer made his
way up the river to Eau Claire, and thence to the Falls of Chippewa, where his
pursuers lost track of him, since when he has never been heard of, although a large
reward was offered for his apprehension by McCann's friends.
In the spring of 1846 John H. Knapp, with William Wilson as silent partner,
purchased the Wilson Creek dam and mill from David Black, followed by a convey-
ance there of June 10. 1846. From that time authentic records are in existence,
and the settlements which sprang up about the various mills and camps may be
treated as separate entities.
In considering the history, of Dunn County from this point it is well to bear in
mind that before that year mills had been erected on Wilson Creek, Gilbert Creek,
18


Go up to Top of Page