Dallas Centennial 1870-1970 : August 15-16, 1970
Lucius Keyes arrived here about 1892 and raised a large family. One daughter, Mildred Amdall, still resides here. George Schutz now owns the Keyes farm, which is the farm Henry Bor- gen farmed. George also owns the Martin Borgen and Sigward (and Albert) Borgen farms; three of the four on the corner. Andrew Hanson homesteaded to the north of the village, and the farm remains in the family name, but it is not being farmed as Mrs. Ole Hanson lives at the Dallas Rest Home. One of her sons is Ing Hanson who married Lois Espe- seth of Dallas. Mrs. Ole Hanson is the daughter of Ole Smith, and a sister of Conrad Smith in Dallas, whose son, Donald, recently moved back into the area with a bulk oil business and plans to build a new house on the Dallas hill. Also close to the village are two farms which have been in the same families for many years. They are the Torkle (Tom) Lystie place with Robert and Halbert residing at present and Carl Nelson lives where his grandfather, Nels Nelson, started many years ago. The farm home of the Freeman Hansons was bought soon after the turn of the century by his father, John A. Hanson. Arthur was on the home place for some years and Joseph was a farmer east of the village until his death. Several of the family will be recalled by friends who grew up with them. Seventy-two years ago, in 1898, the Albert Randalls bought the Joe Knipshield place across the road from the John Randall home. John has been active in many areas, school, town and base- ball. His daughter, Lorraine, married Ben Rudi, son of Matt, another old-timer. Ben is on the town board and loves horses. Others of the family are mentioned elsewhere in our history., Olaus Berg bought his farm in 1895, and his mother lived with him. Ten years later, when he married, he built a house for his mother across the road. There was a large family growing up when the father was taken from them and Mrs. Anna Berg was both father and mother to the family. There was a close family tie and many of them still live near by. Knute owns the Berg Transfer business, Olaf has a bulk oil truck and delivers for the Farmers Union. Arthur is on the home farm, runs a feed mill in Hillsdale, and is the Dallas representative on the County Board. Signe is Mrs. Donald Halverson, Alma is Mrs. Emmett Amdall, and Esther lives in Dallas and works at a hospital in Minneapolis. James Berg bought a place across the road from his brother in 1900. Selmer farms there and has recently built a new house. Mrs. James Berg lives in the village with her son, Herman. Another son, George, is in Dallas township. If you walked down the railroad tracks one mile south and turned to your right a short walk up the hill from the creek you would visit the Knute Jacobson's. Of this large family one son, Carl, makes his home here. Others will be re- membered: Olive was Mrs. Ole Wall, mother of Lowell and Lester. Agnes is the widow of Dr. H. C. Wiger. Often the July Fourth picnic wag held at this home. Andrew Midboe, in his late years, is remem- bered sitting in a rocker in the neat log house of his son, Jacob. He had a long white beard which would really be a prize in these centennial days. Mr. and Mrs. Jacob Midboe built up the farm buildings. Their son, Joseph, farmed for some time and then moved into Dallas. His widow, Beth, and two sons carry on the family name. The Halverson family had many members who made their home here. The John Halversons ar- rived in 1902. Oscar still gets his mail each morning at the post office. His wife, Tilda, is of another former Iowa family, the Flagstads. Richard Halverson had a filling station on Sec- ond Street where the Baldwin Body Shop is located. He married Eva Owens. Carl married into the Vik family and Hilda became Mrs. Elmer Johnson. With all of these large groups there must have been lots of visiting done. Herman Zuehlke came to America in the eight- ies. His son, Elmer (Pete) resides in the village. So does Delilah, the widow of another son, Al. When the railroad was completed in the fall of 1900, it opened travel from greater distances. The next few years brought several families from Iowa. The men shipped their possessions and cattle riding with them in the box cars while the women and children came in the passenger cars. Each helped the new ones get settled in the new homes. For many years there were Fourth of July picnics with homemade ice cream and fireworks. There was a kindred feeling even if there was not a direct relationship. Perhaps this was because they talked the same dialect of Norwegian. Ove Amdall bought the farm on the east side of the railroad tracks in town and platted sev- eral building lots so this was called the Amdall Addition. His oldest son, Andrew married Mildred Keyes, daughter of another pioneer, and have con- tinued to live here. He farmed and had a home delivery milk service until World War II took his sons and his help. Emmett and Lawrence re- turned from the service and now farm here. Agatha Halverson is a daughter and Otto is a son from Ove's second marriage. Grave Omtvedt is a granddaughter. Ejil Hagtvedt brought his family from Decorah, Iowa. Ejelive, his daughter, lives in the village. Another daughter, Ruth, married into the Bonkrude family and their daughter, Doris Berg, also re- sides just out of town. Ejie remembers the Sun- day dinners alternating with the Iowa families, two at a time so there were plenty of children with whom to have a good time.
This material may be protected by copyright law (Title 17, US Code).| For information on re-use see: http://digital.library.wisc.edu/1711.dl/Copyright