Dallas Centennial 1870-1970 : August 15-16, 1970
Z7A12Jjad toaJ After thirty years of village progress, more business and trading was being transacted. With more produce coming in from surrounding farms, there was seen a need for ready transportation to and from the area. In 1900 through the efforts of James A. Ander- son, a railroad came to Dallas. Mr. Anderson gave the land for the depot and the right of way. The Rice Lake, Dallas, and Menomonie Railway, known as the "Soo Line" had come to Dallas. With the coming of this transportation, four potato warehouses were built. In those days the children were given a two week vacation from school, and they helped pick potatoes. M. A. Gedney of St. Paul had a pickle sta- tion, which provided a market for this cash crop. There were three grain elevators, a stockyard, snd other storehouses. The railroad was sometimes called the "Blue- berry," as the train would carry passengers to the north woods to pick blueberries. At one time a "special" was run to bring in ball fans for a local ball game. Eventually other modes of transportation took over and the railroad began to fade. By 1962 the "Blueberry" had seen its last service so the tracks were torn up and the bridges taken down. The land was taken over by the farmers and fenced for fields and pastures. Dallas had taken one more step away from "The Old Days."
This material may be protected by copyright law (Title 17, US Code).| For information on re-use see: http://digital.library.wisc.edu/1711.dl/Copyright