University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
The State of Wisconsin Collection

Page View

McLeod, Donald / History of Wiskonsan, from its first discovery to the present period, including a geological and topographical description of the territory with a correct catalogue of all its plants

Chapter XIV,   pp. 235-254 PDF (3.3 MB)

Page 241

Milwaukie, in 1836, and organised as a separate coun-
ty in 1839. Its population, in 1838, was four hundred
and eighty six, in 1840, it numbered one thousand
seven hundred and one. and in 1842. two thousand
eight hundred and sixty-seven. The first settlement
of the county commenced at Rockport, in 1836. The
townships best known, are Belvit. Janesville, Clinton,
Milton, Union, Centre, and Rock.  The principal
villages arc Janesville, Rockport, and Beloit.
  Rock river, a noble and large navigable stream,
passes nearly through the centre of this fertile and
delightful county, in a meandering direction, from
north to south. It has its source near lake Winneba-
go, in Fondulac county, running in a southerly direc-
tion, until it empties into the Mississippi, one hundred
and sixty-five miles below the state line of Illinois.
It derived its name from the appearance of some rocks
seen at its mouth in passing on the Mississippi. The
whole of the Rock river country is favorably known
for its fertility of soil and beauty of natural scenery,
as well as for its numerous remains of ancient works,
erected by a people long since passed away. This
fine river can be made navigable at a trifling expense,
for light steam boats, from the junction of Doty's riv-
cr, eighteen miles from lake Winnebago, to its mouth,
being nearly three hundred miles. Huste's and John-
son's rapids are the principal obstructions to the navi-
gation in this territory. The estimated cost of the
necessary improvements, within the state of Illinois,
is one hundred and fifty thousand dollars, a part of
which has already been expended. Captain Cram, of
the Engineer department, who examined this river,

Go up to Top of Page