University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
The State of Wisconsin Collection

Page View

McLeod, Donald / History of Wiskonsan, from its first discovery to the present period, including a geological and topographical description of the territory with a correct catalogue of all its plants
(1846)

Chapter XIV,   pp. 235-254 PDF (3.3 MB)


Page 240


240           HISTORY OF WISKOXSAN.
lakes and streams. The soil is rich and fertile. The
great road from Racine to Janesville, passes through
its centre. A part of the large and delightful Rock
prairie enters the southwest corner of this township.
The population in 1842, was one hundred and seven-
ty-six.
   The township of Walworth, is fringed on the east side
by the chrystal waters of lake Geneva; and on the
west side is watered by the head branches of Turtle
creek. Fantana, its principal village, is situated near
the head of Geneva lake. Population in* 1842, was
fonr hundred and forty.nine-principally from the
eastern states.
   Troy, is a post town, in the township of Troy, situ-
 ated on Honey creek, which passes through the town-
 ship. It has a number of small lakes, from which one
 branch of the Mequanigo creek has its source. Pop-
 ulation in 1842, was five hundred and ninety-two.
 This is a flourishing township. The farmers are able
 and in a forward state. The soil is durable, strong,
 and productive. The settlers are generally from the
 eastern states, with a small sprinkling of foreigners.
 Like the other citizens of this county, the inhabitants
 are moral and industrious. The first settlement in this
 county commenced in 1836.
    Rock County, is bounded on the cast by Walworth,
 on the west by Geneva, on the north by Dodge and
 Jefferson counties, and on the south by Illinois. It is
 thirty miles long, from east to west, and thirty-four
 miles wide,-containing an area of seven hundred and
 twenty square miles, or four hundred and sixty thou-
 sand eight hundred square acres. It was set ofl from


Go up to Top of Page