University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
The State of Wisconsin Collection

Page View

McLeod, Donald / History of Wiskonsan, from its first discovery to the present period, including a geological and topographical description of the territory with a correct catalogue of all its plants
(1846)

Chapter XIV,   pp. 235-254 PDF (3.3 MB)


Page 237


HISTORY OF WISKONSAN.
country Radical and Tory throw away their former
rancour, and peacefully unite with the democracy of
the country. Catholics and protestants lay aside their
prejudices, forget their former unhallowed animosities,
and worship their maker in peace. Such are the hap-
py effects of the heaven-born institutions of the only
pure republican government on earth.
   Centreville, is a post town in this county, situated on
Sugar river, at the first or lower rapids of that stream,
wihere the United States road crosses from Racine.
The fall upon their rapids is small. The town was
laid out in 1836,and is gradually improving. Lead
mines have been found within a few miles of it.
  .rew Mexico, is situated near the southeast corner
of town two, range nine, at the head of Skinner's
creek, a branch of the Pekatonica, and in the vicinity
of some lead mines. It was formerly the county seat.
The country around it is fertile and productive.
  Walworth County, is bounded north by Jefferson and
Milwaukie counties, east by Racine county, south by
the state of Illinois, and west by Rock county. It
was set off from Milwaukie in 1836, and organised as
a separate county in 1838. Its population in 1838,
was 1019; in 1840, 2610; and in 1842, 4618. It is
twenty-four miles square, embracing an area of five
hundred and seventy-six square miles, or three hun-
dred and sixty-eight thousand six hundred and forty
square acres. The principal towns are Troy, Spring
Prairie, Elkhorn, White Water, Richmond, Darien,
Walworth, Delevan, and Geneva. The first settle-
ments of this county were commenced in 1836. This
is one of the most fertile and important agricultural
237


Go up to Top of Page