University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
The State of Wisconsin Collection

Page View

McLeod, Donald / History of Wiskonsan, from its first discovery to the present period, including a geological and topographical description of the territory with a correct catalogue of all its plants
(1846)

Chapter XIII,   pp. 231-235 PDF (863.5 KB)


Page 233


              HISTORY OF WISKONSAN.              233
on the banks of the river, and is the shipping place
for a large portion of the country around. It was
laid out in 1836. Van Buren lies above Lafayette,
about the middle of the valley, and was laid out in
1838.- It has a Post-Office, and a Methodist and Cath-
olic Church. Above Van Buren is another town called
Dublin. This as the name portends, is an Irish settle-
ment. There are many Irish in the territory. They
are a peaceable, hard-working, industrious class of cit-
izens, are republicans to the very core, and generally
members of the Catholic Temperance Association.
   Sinaupi, a town on the Mississippi, in Grant county,
is siuated near the north line of town one, the western
termination of the United States road from Racine.
This town stands at the edge of the water, which is
deep close to the shore, affording a convenient landing
place for steam boats of the largest class. Large
quantities of lead and copper are shipped from this port.
   Sinapi is situated on the east bank of the Mississip-
 pi, at the base of lofty, precipitous bluffs, and is one
 of the many bubbles which expanded and burst about
 the year 1838. The Louisiana Company purchased
 the town site, erected sundry dwellings and store-
 houses, and drew to the village many inhabitants, by
 lavish promises of emolument nnd wealth. The ima-
 ginary fortunes of the settlers and company soon van-
 ished into thin air, and the deserted town speedily
 began to fall into decay and ruin. A solitary family
 remains, to tell the tale of the rise and decline of
 Simapi. It has the appearance, if I may use the term,
 of a place eviscerated-sacked and plundered by an
 invading army. Had a fire swept over it, it could
                            20'


Go up to Top of Page