University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
The State of Wisconsin Collection

Page View

Sauk Prairie Area Historical Society (ed.) / Historical homes of Prairie du Sac: a project of the Sauk Prairie Area Historical Society
(1999)

Homes razed for progress,   pp. 58-64 PDF (1.9 MB)


Page 60

470 Water Street: This home was located in Hubbard's Addition Block 1. It was the first house south
of the Second Bridge. Gilbert Schumacher a local druggist lived here from 1933-1944. In 1992 Dr.
William Knickmeyer bought the property and cleared it to build his new Eagleview Dental Office.
715 Water Street: Samuel Bassinger arrived in the Sauk Prairie area in 1850. He acquired the property
the same year from Philip Nichols. The house was constructed sometime between 1850 and 1853. The
architectural style was Greek Revival with its pedimented gaggle facing the street. Cornice and frieze
extend along the elevations. John Jacob Ochsner acquired the property in 1868 at a sheriff s sale for
about $1,700. It was in the Ochsner family for eighty years, and in 1948 it was sold to Bessie Birgen
who lived in it until her passing. In 1989 it was sold to Schwarz Insurance for use as a parking lot.
60 ? Historic Homes of Prairie du Sac


Go up to Top of Page