University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
The State of Wisconsin Collection

Page View

Bingham, Helen M. (Helen Maria) / History of Green County, Wisconsin

Brooklyn,   pp. [241]-246 PDF (1.1 MB)

Page 244

History of Green County. 
began with the building of the Madison division of the 
Chicago & Northwestern Railway in j864, and the first 
house was built that year by H. Capwell. Beginning 
in the corner of the county, on the east side of the rail- 
road, the village was afterwards extended on the west 
side by Alonzo Melvin, whose farm, lying in the three 
counties of Dane, Rock, and Green, bounds it on the south 
and west. The village has also spread over into Dane. 
The leading business interests of the village are repre- 
sented by E. G. Andrews and Son, produce merchants, 
whose elevator is the largest between Madison and 
Beloit; Melvin, Blair & Co., manufacturers of 140,000 
pounds of American cheese per annum; Johnson & 
Gliddin, proprietors of a feed and planing mill and 
cheese box factory; L. J. Wilder, B. S. Axtell, Mar- 
vin Bros., merchants; Lovejoy and Richards, lumber 
dealers, and D. H. Glidden, proprietor of the hotel. One 
of the largest granges in the county is that which has a 
store in the village of Brooklyn. It numbers about a 
hundred members, and its weekly meetings, which are 
varied by debates, essays, and dramatic representations, 
are largely attended. Its members carry home books 
from their circulating library, and feel repaid for their 
long rides by the recreation, the general information, and 
the' ability to conduct public meetings gained at the 
regular gatherings of the association. 
Town meetings ill Brooklyn are held sometimes in 
Attica, sometimes in the vill.age of Brooklyn.  The 
first meeting was held at the house of Nelson J. Patter- 
son, April 7, 1849.  The number of votes cast was 

Go up to Top of Page