Bingham, Helen M. (Helen Maria) / History of Green County, Wisconsin
York, pp. -233 PDF (959.2 KB)
Histoiy of Green County. the cold winter of 1842-'3, but they had health and hope, and only one person died-a little daughter of Philander Peebles, who had contracted consumption in New York. It was several years before any settlement was made- in the northern and western parts of York. Since 1853- '4-'5, these parts of the town have been mostly occu- pied by Norwegians. There are also a few Germans, and Irish, and near the south-west corner, Yankees are numerous enough to give one place the name of Yankee hollow. As the prairie north of Green's Prairie was settled,, it began to be called York, in honor of the original home of the people; and at the suggestion of the Rev.. Augustus Hurlbut, the first clergyman in the township,, this name was given to the town, which would probably have been named for Mr. Green had not Green been the name of the county. In 1846 or '47, Green's Prairie obtained a post office, to which the first postmaster, Lemuel Chase, gave the name of Farmer's Grove, in, allusion to a grove near his house, A little later, Ed- ward Sendel opened a store on the prairie. Both office and store were- irther north and west than the present village of Farmer's Grove. Mr. Sendell closed his store and Mr. E. T. Gardner opened another a short distance west of the site of the village. In the mean- time Bem post office, named by admirers of the Hunga- rian general, had been established on York prairie, and the Farmer's Grove office had been moved south, and after several changes in the ownership of the store, 23 "
This material may be protected by copyright law (e.g., Title 17, US Code)