Bingham, Helen M. (Helen Maria) / History of Green County, Wisconsin
Decatur, pp. -228 PDF (2.4 MB)
History of Green County. (a business man from the village of Decatur, and the first clerk of the town), and a few others, happened to build north of the railroad in the street between these- rival streets, and this half way ground became the nu- cleus of the village. Dwellings went up in the new town in the summer of'56 as fast as workmen could be found to put them up. Before the end of September, Messrs. Sherman & Clinton had erected two good stores and were preparing to build others; and Messrs. Laird & Coffin were ready to entertain all guests of the village at the Manly House. Laird, McLaren & Co.'s lumber yard (the first in the county, and the only one until N. H. Allen started his in Monroe the next year), Messrs. Clinton's warehouse, and a number of stores appeared in 1857. In the first eighteen months after the town was platted, lots were sold to the value of $IIZ,ooo; and at the end of her second year, Brodhead had over six hundred inhabitants. In the fall of '57, thanks to the farmers, to Deacon Clinton, to Messrs. Graham, the contractors, and to J. T. Dodoe, the engi- neer who had charge of the work, the railroad reached Brodhead. In February, '5S, the dullest month of the year, the freight shipped from Brodhead amounted to 896,oi4 pounds. Monroe, Brodhead's senior by twenty- two years, shipped 1,212,2o6 pounds during the same time. One of the first improvements in the new village was the mill race, which Thos. and John Hendrie dug from the river dam near Decatur to the site of the flour mill which Messrs. Hendrie, H. B. Stewart, and S. C. 223'
This material may be protected by copyright law (e.g., Title 17, US Code)