University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
The State of Wisconsin Collection

Page View

Bingham, Helen M. (Helen Maria) / History of Green County, Wisconsin
(1877)

History of Green County,   pp. [9]-64 PDF (513.9 KB)


Page 20

20Histoiy of Green County. 
son, collector. Soon after this election, a copy of the 
newly published laws of the state was received, and it 
was found that the ioth of September was the day ap- 
pointed by law for holding the annual election. Con. 
sequently no certificates were issued to the officers elect- 
ed in August, and another election was held in Septem- 
ber, the result of which is given in the course of this 
sketch. The commissioners had for clerks, this first 
year of the county's existence, Hiram Rust, Mortimer 
Bainbridge, and Wm. Rittenhouse, successively. The 
commissioners' work was as follows: They appointed 
judges of elections, ordered that Green County consti- 
tute one election precinct, that elections be held at the 
house of Jacob LyBrand, and that the district court be 
held at Jacob Andrick's. They charged Joseph Paine 
$1.50 for tavern license for three months, and Jacob Ly- 
Brand $20.00 for license to retail merchandise for one 
year. They established the boundaries of road districts 
one and two, received and granted several petitions for 
roads, and issued orders to the amount of $129.67. 
The first court held in Green County, was the United 
States district court, Hon. Chas. Dunn presiding. It 
was held in April, 1838, at Mr. Andrick's house, now 
known as the Niles place, south of the village of Mon- 
roe. The first grand jury, Hiram Rust foreman, met 
in the blacksmith shop of Buckskin Brown. Once, 
when Judge Dunn was here, the grand jury found an 
indictment against a woman. Before the hour for the 
trial, and before the grand jurors had come out of their 
room, which opened into the court room, the Judge 
20 


Go up to Top of Page