University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
The State of Wisconsin Collection

Page View

Bingham, Helen M. (Helen Maria) / History of Green County, Wisconsin
(1877)

History of Green County,   pp. [9]-64 PDF (10.7 MB)


Page 17

History of Green County. 
Janes came to Green County to buy provisions of the 
farmers. Madison was thought of; but when the seat 
of government was located there in 1837 there were but 
three white men in Dane County. 
About the same time that Wisconsin was separated 
from Michigan, Iowa County constituted her portion of 
the future little Green one election precinct. Henry 
Dodge, the first governor of the new territory, appor- 
tioned to each county its number of councilors and rep- 
resentatives, and the number allotted to Iowa County 
entitled her eastern election precinct to one representa- 
tive. The election was held where Monroe has since 
grown up, at the blacksmith shop of a Mr. Brown 
(familiarly known, from the material of his clothes, as 
Buckskin Brown), and resulted in the election of Wm. 
Boyles, of Cadiz. Other things than political affiliations 
determined a candidate's success in those days. There 
were very few young women in the country, and it is 
said that every single man in the precinct favored the 
election of Mr. Boyles because he had eight unmarried 
daughters. At the first session of the first Wisconsin 
legislature, which convened at Belmont, Iowa County, 
in the fall of 1836, Mr. Boyles presented a petition 
(which had been drawn up and circulated by Mr. Daniel 
S. Sutherland), asking for the organization of a county 
which should have the limits of the present county of 
Green, and be called Richland. The petition was grant- 
ed, so far as setting off a new county was concerned, 
but some one objected to the name because it was "too 
matter-of-fact," and Mr. Boyles was invited to select 
17 


Go up to Top of Page