University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
The State of Wisconsin Collection

Page View

Bingham, Helen M. (Helen Maria) / History of Green County, Wisconsin
(1877)

History of Green County,   pp. [9]-64 PDF (10.7 MB)


Page 13

History of Green County. 
stopped at the old Indian, or Sugar River diggings, 
near the present village of Exeter, where they were 
soon joined by an interpreter named Van Sickles, and 
by miners, Some time prior to 1829, John B. Skinner 
and Thomas Neal began to work at the Skinner dig- 
gings, in the township since called Monroe. In 1830 
Andrew Clarno built the first house in Clarno town- 
ship, and two years later William Wallace and Joseph 
Paine, who had been working at the mines, settled near 
him. New miners came occasionally, but the number 
of settlers did not increase until after the Black Hawk 
war, which broke out in the spring of 1832. Although 
this war lasted only three months, it must- not, on that 
,account, be passed by as unimportant.  It cost about 
three hundred lives, whites and Indians, and even the 
great rebellion was not a greater source of anxiety, in 
its time, than was the Black Hawk war to the early 
settlers. Prior to the war, in October, 1829, the 'south- 
ern part of Crawford County, including, of course, the 
greater part of the future county of Green, was orga- 
nized as Iowa County, of which Mineral Point was the 
county seat. Most of the depredations of the Indians 
during the war were committed in the mining districts 
of Iowa County. Hundreds of miners left the country 
and never returned. The movements of the Indians 
were so stealthy and so rapid that the settlers, separated 
by long distances from each other, were in the wildest 
alarm. Their thoughts when awake, their dreams when 
asleep, were all of the Indians. Finally they sought 
refuge in the forts, of which the more important were 
2* 
13 


Go up to Top of Page