University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
The State of Wisconsin Collection

Page View

Bingham, Helen M. (Helen Maria) / History of Green County, Wisconsin
(1877)

History of Green County,   pp. [9]-64 PDF (10.7 MB)


Page 12

1History of Green County. 
Great Britain. At the close of the revolution it was 
claimed by Virginia, and ceded by that state to the 
United States, after which it was under the territorial 
government of Ohio until i8oo. From that time until 
i8o9 it was a part of Indiana territory. It was then 
included in Illinois territory until iSi8, when it was 
attached to Michigan territory. On the 4th of July, 
1836, it was organized as the territory of Wisconsin. 
When Michigan territory extended as far west as the 
Mississippi, that part of the territory lying between 
Lake Michigan and the Mississippi was divided into two 
counties, Brown and Crawford. The division was such 
that that part of Green County which is comprised in 
the four towns, Brooklyn, Albany, Decatur, and Spring 
Grove, was in Brown County, whose county seat was 
Green Bay, while the remainder was in Crawford Coun- 
ty, of which Prairie du Chien was the county seat. So 
far as this county is concerned, the memory of man 
goeth back only to 1826-7. In 1826 there began to be a 
great deal of talk about the lead mines of south-western 
Wisconsin. In 1827 the interest in them was as general 
as the interest in the California gold mines in '49, and 
there was such a rush to them from all parts of the 
country that sometimes the boats that came up the 
Mississippi from St. Louis could not carry half of 
those who wanted to come. Probably the first white 
men who saw what is now Green County passed this 
way in I826, on their way to the mines near the river. 
The first who remained came in '28, to trade with the 
Indians. Their names were McNut and Boner. They 
12 


Go up to Top of Page