University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
The State of Wisconsin Collection

Page View

The history of Columbia County, Wisconsin, containing an account of its settlement, growth, development and resources; an extensive and minute sketch of its cities, towns and villages--their improvements, industries, manufactories, churches, schools and societies; its war record, biographical sketches, portraits of prominent men and early settlers; the whole preceded by a history of Wisconsin, statistics of the state, and an abstract of its laws and constitution and of the constitution of the United States
(1880)

Chapter XIV,   pp. 796-832 PDF (18.9 MB)


Page 804


HISTORY OF COLUMBIA COUNTY.
     1866-Irving W. York,' Chairman; Benjamin D. Dawes, Anfend Nelson, Supervisors;.
 Thomas B. Coon, Town Clerk; Charles Moeller, Treasurer; Amplias Chamberlin,
Alonzo B.
 Stearns, Assessors.
     1867--Robert Herren, Chairman; Charles Teshner, Osmond Jenson, Supervisors;
Thomas
 B. Coon, Town Clerk; Charles Moeller, Treasurer; Amplias Chamberlin, Frank
Hill,. Halvor
 Severson, Assessors.
     1868-Robert Herren, Chairman; Charles Teshner, Hans Peterson, Supervisors;
Thomas
 B. Coon, Town Clerk; Charles Moeller, Treasurer; Amplias Chamberlin, Alonzo
B. Stearns,
 Henry Howard, Assessors.
     1869--George H. Daniel3. Chairman; George Ribenack, Anfend Nelson,'
Supervisors;
 Michael Griffin, Town Clerk; Henry M. Whitney, Treasurer; Amplias Chamberlin,
Assessor.
     1870--George    Smith, Chairman; George      Ribenack, Anfend    Nelson,'
Supervisors;
 Michael Griffin, Town Clerk; Henry M. Whitney, Treasurer; George H. Daniel8,4
Assessor.
     1871-George Smith, Chairman; John N. Schmitz, John Mylrea, Supervisors;
Thomas
 B. Coon, Town Clerk; Henry M. Whitney, Treasurer; William A. Ramsey, Assessor.
     1872-George Smith,5 COhairman ; John Mylrea, John N. Schmitz, Supervisors;
Thomas
1B. Coon, Town Clerk; Amplias Chamberlin. Treasurer; William A. Ramsey, Assessor.
     1873-Irving W. York, Chairman; John N. Schmitz. Anfend Nelson, Supervisors;
Thomas
B. Coon, Town Clerk; Amplias Chamberlin, Treasurer; William. A. Ramsey, Assessor.
     1874-Amplias Chamberlin, Chairman; Anfend Nelson, George Ribenack, Supervisors;
Thomas B. Coon, Town Clerk; John R. Snider, Treasurer; William A. Ramsey,
Assessor.
     1875-frving W. York, Chairman; George RiPenack, Anfend Nelson. Supervisors;
Michael Griffin, Town Clerk; John R. Snider, Treasurer; William A. Ramsey,
Assessor.
     1876--Irving W. York, Chairman: John N. Schmitz, Martin Nelson, Supervisors;
Thomas
BB. Coon, Town Clerk; Marcius A. Rublee, Treasurer; Frank Hill, Halvor Seversen,6
J. Henry
Guyer,7 Assessors.
     1877-Irving W. York, Chairman; John N. Schmitz, Thomas Hanson, Supervisors;
Thomas B. Coon, Town Clerk; Marcius A. Rublee, Treasurer; Frank Hill, Assessor.
     1878-Irving W. York, Chairman; John N. Schmitz, Thomas Hanson, Supervisors;
Thomas
B. Coon, Town Clerk; Marcius A. Rublee, Treasurer; William A. Ramsey, Assessor.
     1879-Irving W. York, Chairman; John N. Schmitz, Thomas Hanson, Supervisors;
Thomas B. Coon, Town Clerk; Marcius A. Rublee, Treasurer; Frank Hill, Assessor.
     1880-Irving W. York, Chairman; Thomas Hanson, R. B. Rose, Supervisors;
Thomas
B. Coon, Town Clerk; George A. Boyd, Treasurer; Frank Hill, Assessor.
     From the organization of the town until 1858, it was Democratic in politics,
since which
time it has gone Republican at every annual election.
     The town of Newport, like Fort Winnebago and Lewiston, presents the
usual sandy soil.
In Township 13, Range 6, and Township 13, Range 7, the ground raises rapidly
towards the
north and west, so-that on the north side of the town it attains elevations
considerably over 400
feet, being well upon the high ground which encircles the plain of Adams
and Juneau Counties.
The eastern portion of the town, extending into the town of Lewiston, is
occupied by a large
tamarack marsh, four miles across, from north to south, and three from east
to west. Along
the west side of the town are the walls of the lower part of the "Dalles
of the Wisconsin."
                                   VILLAGE OF -NEWPORT.
     In 1850, Joseph Bailey made claim to a quarter-section of land on Section
15, Township
13 north, Range 6- east, lying upon the east bank of the Wisconsin River,
in the present
    1., Mr. York failed to qualify, and Mr. Benjamin D. Dawes, Supervisor,
performed the duties of Chairman during the term.
    2. Mr. Nelson failed to qualify, and George Smith was appointed in his
place.
    3. Mr, Nelson failed to qualify, and John Mylrea was appointed in his
stead.
    4. Mr. Daniels failed to qualify, and Daniel B. Kubey was appointed inhis
stead.
    M. Mr. Smith removed from the town during the term, and Irving W. York
was appointed in his stead March 25, 1873.
    6. Mr. Severssn failed to qualify.
    7. :Mr. Guyer failed to qualify.
8.04


Go up to Top of Page