The history of Columbia County, Wisconsin, containing an account of its settlement, growth, development and resources; an extensive and minute sketch of its cities, towns and villages--their improvements, industries, manufactories, churches, schools and societies; its war record, biographical sketches, portraits of prominent men and early settlers; the whole preceded by a history of Wisconsin, statistics of the state, and an abstract of its laws and constitution and of the constitution of the United States
Chapter XIV, pp. 796-832 PDF (18.9 MB)
HISTORY OF COLUMBIA COUNTY. lived but a short distance from Mr. Low and who succeeded him as Postmaster, then entertained man and beast until 1856, when the stage line was discontinued and travel thus cut off.' In 1852, a store was started at the corners, near the post office, by Dr. C. Strong, and it was thought a village would here eventually grow up. But th~ebright anticipations of the Doctor and land-holders thereabouts had not been realized, up to March, 1880. The early settlers were occasionally troubled with claim jumpers, and the Claim Club was brought into requisition more than once. At a very early day, one Devendorf made a claim to a certain quarter, remained on it for a time, and then left, no one knew where. Being gone a considerable length of time it was considered he had abandoned his claim, and it was taken by another party. In the course of time Mr. Devendorf returned, erected a shanty on the claim and proceeded to make himself at home. He was ordered off by the Club, but refused to go; therefore one night he received a visit from a dozen men, and was taken out to the marsh in a state almost similar to that in which he came into the world, and as the night was quite cool he soon agreed to do the bidding of the Club. There are two post offices in the town-Lowville and Rocky Run. This last office was established in 1851, with J. F. Hand as Postmaster. He was succeeded by Ella C. Curtiss, who is the present incumbent. The following comprise the town officers from 1849 to 1880 inclusive: 1849-Stephen Brayton, Chairman; S. P. Webb, James Hinman, Supervisors; Lemuel Page, Clerk; Clark M. Young, Treasurer; Jonathan Hibbard, Assessor; William T. Bradley, School Superintendent. 1850-Oliver C. Howe, Chairman; John A. Bannon, John J. Lewis, Supervisors; J. F.. Hand, Clerk; Silas W. Herring, Treasurer; Jacob Townsend, Assessor; Walter A. North- rup, School Superintendent. 1851-F. C. Curtis, Chairman; J. A. Bannon, Henry Lane, Supervisors; J. C. Jay, Clerk; Samuel Dunn, Treasurer; 0. C. Howe, Assessor; C. M. Curtis, School Superintendent. 1852-F. C. Curtis, Chairman; J. Brady, S. P. Webb, Supervisors; P. L. Carman, Clerk; J. Gilbert, Treasurer; J. Townsend, Assessor; William C. Bonstel, School Superin- tendent. 1853-J. F. Hand, Chairman; Giles Easton, L. G. Folsom, Supervisors; Samuel Dunn, Clerk ; L. d4. Folsom, Treasurer; F. C. Curtis, Assessor; William C. Bonstel, School Super- intendent. 1854-F. C. Curtis, Chairman; Orin Rogers, Birdsell Wheeler, Supervisors; Samuel Dunn, Clerk; Samuel Wheeler, Treasurer; William C. Bonstel, Assessor; William C. Bonstel, School Superintendent. 1855-F. C. Curtis, Chairman; Birdsell Wheeler, 0. F. Rogers, Supervisors; Samuel Dunn, Clerk; William C. Bonstel, Assessor and School Superintendent. 1856-F. C. Curtis, Chairman; Michael Gallagher, Delos Bundy, Supervisors; William C. Bonstel, Clerk; N. W. Bennett, Treasurer; J. W. Curtis, Assessor; J. F. Hand, School Superintendent. 1857'-Samuel Dunn, Chairman; H. M. Delaney, R. Johnson, Supervisors; F. S. Henry, Clerk ; N. W. Bennett. Treasurer; F. C. Curtis, Assessor: J. F. Hand, School Superintendent. 1858-Samuel Dunn, Chairman; Delos Bandy, H. M. Delaney, Supervisors; F. S. Henry, Clerk; S. R. Lane, Treasurer; F. C. Curtis, Assessor; J. 'F. Hand, School Superintendent. 1859-J. F. Hand, Chairman; Ole Wilson, Birdsell Wheeler, Supervisors; Samuel Dunn, Clerk" H. Lane, Treasurer ; F. C. Curtis, Asse-sor; F. L. Henry, School Superintendent. 1860-Delos Bundy, Chairman; William H. Young, Nelson Wilson, Supervisors; D. C. Strong, Clerk; W. W. Curtis, Treasurer; F. C. Curtis, Assessor; F. L. Henry, School Super- intendent. 1861-Delos Bundy, Chairman; H. Lane, 0. C. Scovell, Supervisors; D. C. Strong, Clerk; W. W. Curtis, Treasurer; F. C. Curtis, Assessor; M. T. Alverson, School Superin- tendent.
Based on date of publication, this material is presumed to be in the public domain.| Original materal owned by South Central Library System.| For information on re-use see: http://digital.library.wisc.edu/1711.dl/Copyright