University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
The State of Wisconsin Collection

Page View

The history of Columbia County, Wisconsin, containing an account of its settlement, growth, development and resources; an extensive and minute sketch of its cities, towns and villages--their improvements, industries, manufactories, churches, schools and societies; its war record, biographical sketches, portraits of prominent men and early settlers; the whole preceded by a history of Wisconsin, statistics of the state, and an abstract of its laws and constitution and of the constitution of the United States
(1880)

Chapter XII,   pp. 698-746 PDF (23.9 MB)


Page 699


HISTORY OF COLUMBIA COUNTY.
     When Clark M. Young settled on Section1., in 1838, there was not a house
between there
and Columbus; only one until Portage, then Fort Winnebago, was reached-that
of Wallace
Rowan, of which mention is made in the history of the town of Dekorra; and
but one between
there and Madison.
     The town of Arlington is almost altogether upon the top of the watershed,
having a sur-
face of rolling prairie, and a general altitude of 450 to 570 feet. In the
northern row of sec-
tions, this high ground breaks down abruptly 200 feet toward the headwaters
of Okee Creek. The
Madison & Portage Railroad was built through the town in 1870, passing
through Sections 2,
11, 14, 13, 24, 25 and 36.   A station was located on Section 13, to afford
farmers in the
vicinity facilities for the shipment of grain and stock. The town is an exclusively
agricult-
_ural one, and said by the State geologist to be one of the best in the State.
     In the spring of 1875, a stock company was organized under the name
of the Arlington
 Cheese Manufacturing Company, with a paid-up capital of $2,000. A. W. Vaughan
was elected
 President; George Clark, Secretary; Levi Clapp, Treasurer. The manufactory
was put in
 operation that season, and40,000 pounds of cheese were'manufactured. The
amount has been
 increased year by year, in 1878, it being 97,000 pounds.
     The following is a list of town officers from the organization of Arlington
to the present
time*:
     1855-Nathan Hazen, Chairman; H. N. Joy, James H. Foster, Supervisors
; Julius
Austin, Clerk; Clark M. Young, Treasurer; Solomon Matteson, Assessor; Ambrose
Powers,
School Superintendent.
     1856-A. P. Smith, Chairman; Phineas Watson, Isaac N. Brown, Supervisors;
Julius
Austin, Clerk; John C. Dunning, Treasurer, Solomon Matteson, Assessor; Ambrose
Powers,
School Superintendent.
     1857-Julius Austin, Chairman; Lewis Newton, H. N. Joy, Supervisors;
W. Bullen,
 Clerk ; C. C. Knapin, Treasurer;; T. Matteson, Assessor; L. H. Smith, School
Superintendent.
     1858-J. Austin, Chairman; J. T. Hillyer, Mark Meadowcraft, Supervisors;
W.
 Bullen, B. Look, Treasurers; Solomon Matteson, Assessor; A. Powers, School
Superintendent.
     1859-J. T. Hillyer, Chairman; H. N. Joy, T. T., Dunning, Supervisors;
A. 0. Dole,
 Clerk; Joseph McIntosh, Treasurer; Solomon Matteson, Assessor; Ambrose Powers,
School
 Superintendent.
     1860-J. T. Hillyer, Chairman; 1H.N. Joy, J. H. Foster, Supervisors;
D. Drown, Treas-
 urer; A. 0. Dole, Clerk; Solomon Matteson, Assessor; A. G. Dunning, School
Superintendent.
     1861-H. J. Sill, Chairman; Thomas Mair, Dan. W. Burlison, Supervisors;
Andrew J.
 McFarlane, Clerk; Ambrose Powers, Treasurer; Jeremy Bradley, Assessor; A.
G. Dunning,
 School Superintendent.
     1862-1H. J. Sill, Chairman; A. Powers, L. Clapp, Supervisors; Andrew
J. McFarlane,
 Clerk; E. B. Thomas, Treasurer; Solomon Matteson, Assessor.
     1863-J. T. Hillyer, Chairman; G. A. Clark, A. Powers, Supervisors; A.
G. Dunning,
 Clerk ; E. B. Thomas, Treasurer; Solomon Matteson, Assessor.
     1864-J. T. Hilly-er, Chairman; A. Powers, G. A. Clark, Supervisors;
L. H. Smith,
 Clerk; E. B. Thomas, Treasurer; Solomon Matteson, Assessor.
     1865-Winslow Bullen, Chairman ; William Caldwell, Ingle Spoonan, Supervisors;
L.
 H. Smith, Clerk; Adam Culdon, Treasurer; T. S. Phillips, Assessor.
     1866-Winslow Bullen, Chairman; G. A. Clark, William Caldwell, Supervisors;
L. H.
 Smith, Clerk; Adam Culdon, Treasurer; T. S. Phillips, Assessor.
     1867-W. Bullen, Chairman; A. Powers, William Caldwell, Supervisors;
L. H. Smith,
 Clerk; J. J. Hunt, Treasurer; T. S. Phillips, Assessor.
     1868-Winslow Bullen, Chairman; L. Lintner, J. Witters, Supervisors;
L. H. Smith,
Clerk; Judson J. Hunt, Treasurer; Joseph Axon, Assessor.
     1869-W. Bullen, Chairman; L. Lintner, William     Currie, Supervisors;
L. H. Smith,
 Clerk ; 0. 5. Bartlett, Treasurer ; Joseph Axon, Assessor.
699


Go up to Top of Page