University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
The State of Wisconsin Collection

Page View

The history of Columbia County, Wisconsin, containing an account of its settlement, growth, development and resources; an extensive and minute sketch of its cities, towns and villages--their improvements, industries, manufactories, churches, schools and societies; its war record, biographical sketches, portraits of prominent men and early settlers; the whole preceded by a history of Wisconsin, statistics of the state, and an abstract of its laws and constitution and of the constitution of the United States

Chapter XII,   pp. 698-746 PDF (23.9 MB)

Page 698

                                  CHAPTER XII.
                                   TOWN OF ARLINGTON.
     The first permanent settlement in Arlington was made by Clark M. Young,
on Section 1,
in the spring of 1838. For six years, he was "monarch of all he surveyed
" in this town, there
being no other settler to dispute his claim. J. Pratt came in 1844; and during
that year and
the six following, came a large number, including N. Van Winter, Nathan Hazen,
William A.
McIntosh, Fred Starr, Hugh McFarlane, Jeremy Bradley, Mark Meadowcraft, John
Usual Youngs, George Bradley, A. P. Smith, Isaac N. Brown, H. N. Joy, Thomas
Mr. Jackson, Samuel D. Drake, Ambrose Powers and Henry Hill.
     Upon the organization of the county, the east half of Township 10, Range
9, was included
in the Lowville Precinct, and the west half was, with other territory on
the west, known as the
Pleasant Valley Precinct. In 1849, the east half of this township, together
with Township 10,
Range 10, and the south half of Township 11, Range 10, was organized into
a town to be
known as Lowville; the west half, together with Township 10, Range 8, and
the fractional part
of Township 10, Range 7, was the same time organized under the name of Lodi.
In 1850, the
east half, with Township 10, Range 10, was organized under the name of Kossuth;
the west
half remaining as before. In 1855, all of this township, except Sections
6, 7, 18, 19, 30 and
31, was organized into a town, under the name of Arlington. For many years,
the effort was
made to have restored to the town these sections. The courts were appealed
to, but could give
no redress; the Legislature was also asked to pass a special act for this
purpose. This was
refused, but an act was passed authorizing the County Board of Supervisors
to attend to the.
matter. In 1871, the Board passed a resolution permitting the change, provided
the town would
assume the proportionate amount of the debt ofthe town of Lodi, which would
be collected from
the owners of the sections named. This was accordingly done, and these sections
became part
of the town of Arlington, thus made to comprise the entire township. The
debt assumed
amounted to $4,375.
     Thomas Rassou and Tirza Jackson were united in marriage in 1846, being
the first couple
married in the town.
     James H., son of Clark M., and Jeannet Young, was born May 6, 1846,
being the first
birth in the town.
     The first death was Charles W., son of Clark M., and Jeannet Young,
who died in the sum-
mer of 1849.
     At the house of Usual Youngs was taught the first school in the town
in the summer of
1847. In the spring of 1848, a log schoolhouse was built on Section 1, and
in the following
fall, Miss Sarah Richardson taught the first term of school therein. The
first school in the cen-
tral part of the town was on Section 22, and was taught by Miss Caroline
A. Foster, in 1854.
In the spring of 1880, there were in the town six whole and three joint districts,
with six school-
houses valued at $2,000.  Number of pupils, 425.
     Rev. Henry Maynard, an itinerant of the Methodist Episcopal Church,
preached the first
sermon in this town at the house of Clark M. Young in the summer of 1845.
For several years
he visited the town from ti'me to time, but no class was formed. In 1854,
Rev. T. Lewis, of
Lodi, a Presbyterian minister, preached at the house of A. P. Smith, and
shortly after a con-
gregation was formed, but no church building was erected.

Go up to Top of Page