University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
The State of Wisconsin Collection

Page View

The history of Columbia County, Wisconsin, containing an account of its settlement, growth, development and resources; an extensive and minute sketch of its cities, towns and villages--their improvements, industries, manufactories, churches, schools and societies; its war record, biographical sketches, portraits of prominent men and early settlers; the whole preceded by a history of Wisconsin, statistics of the state, and an abstract of its laws and constitution and of the constitution of the United States
(1880)

Chapter XI,   pp. 665-697 PDF (18.3 MB)


Page 678


HISTORY OF COLUMBIA COUNTY.
Circumstances, however, were not fortuitous, and the undertaking was sustained
during a few
months only. Among the teachers of this school were Miss Mary Pomeroy and
Misses Mary
and Martha Brigham. In 1859, the store now owned and occupied by the Dodge
Brothers was
built by A. G. Cook on the site where is now the calaboose; it was used as
a schoolhouse for a
year or more. Here taught Miss Achsah Huyck, afterward the wife of Rev. Mr.
Phillips.
There have been other and more recent movements toward the building-up of
private institutions
of learning, some of them looking toward extensive results, but they have
made no progress.
                                  RELIGIOUS INSTITUTIONS.
     Columbus is truly "a city of churches." No city in the State
has a larger number in pro-
portion to population, and few of the same size has so many.
     The Congregationalist and the Presbyterians.-The local relations of
these denominations
have been-such as to make the writing of separate history of each without
repetition one of the
impossibilities. The original organization was perfected January 26, 1850,
under the Congre-
gational form of government, the Rev. A. Montgomery being chosen Chairman
of the Council,
and J. Q. Adams, Clerk. Letters from different churches were presented by
James Campbell,
Mrs. Julia Campbell, Richard Stratton, Mrs. Polly Stratton, Emily Stratton,
Mrs. Asenath
Stratton, Mrs. Helen S. Rosenkrans, Ellen iHagerman, Maria Hagerman and Mrs.
Hay-
den, which were read and these persons were constituted a church. The church
became a mem-
ber of the Madison District Convention within a week from the date of its
organization, and R.
Stratton was sent as the first delegate. In August, 1852, it was voted to
change the relations
of the church from the Madison District to the Fox River Presbytery, and
in November follow-
ing the Presbyterian form of government was adopted, three Elders of that
faith being chosen.
Thus matters progressed until a majority of the church members withdrew,
and organized a
separate Presbyterian society in 1866. On the 29th of January of that year,
the remaining
members of the Presbyterian Church resumed the original name and form of
organization, and
officers chosen to correspond with the change.
     It will now be necessary to return to an account of the first temporal
work of the church.
The Congregational Society of Columbus having been incorporated in September,
1850, Lewis
Ludington, proprietor of the original village plat of Columbus, deeded to
the said society that
year the land at the corner of Mill street and Broadway, upon which a house
of worship was
erected. The certificate of organization was signed by James Campbell and
William E. Led-
yard. H. S. Haskell, James Campbell and B. M. Benedict were elected Trustees
at the first
meeting.
     The house erected at that early day was sufficiently large to meet the
wants of the place
at that time, but as the village grew in size and the country around became
settled, better
accommodations became necessary.  The deficiency was provided for in 1864,
when an addition
of twenty feet was built to the rear of the original edifice, and other important
repairs were
made. The structure was being occupied in 1866, when the division occurred.
     Recourse was then had to necessary legal measures, and the seceding
fold at once organ-
ized themselves into a separate society. A place of Worship and supplies
for the pulpit were
secured without delay. A Sabbath school was gathered, and afternoon services
were held in the
Baptist Church. Among those who served as supplies were the Revs. B. G. Riley,
Mr. Post
and Mr. Southwart. In July, 1866, the Rev. E. F. Fish became the stated supply,
and the
regular sessions were resumed. In the mean time, a lot was purchased on Broadway,
and
materials gathered for the erection of a church edifice. The society continued
to accept the
favors of the Baptists until September, 1867, when their new church was finished
and dedicated
to the cause. The structure cost about $5,000, and holds an important place
among the many
handsome buildings of that character in Columbus. Mr. Fish served as Pastor
for two years.
After his retirement, the pulpit was supplied for a time by the Rev. Mr.
Patten, the venerable
Kanouse, and others. The Rev. W. A. Hendrickson commenced his labors with
the church in
June, 1869, and remained until 1876.
678


Go up to Top of Page