University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
The State of Wisconsin Collection

Page View

The history of Columbia County, Wisconsin, containing an account of its settlement, growth, development and resources; an extensive and minute sketch of its cities, towns and villages--their improvements, industries, manufactories, churches, schools and societies; its war record, biographical sketches, portraits of prominent men and early settlers; the whole preceded by a history of Wisconsin, statistics of the state, and an abstract of its laws and constitution and of the constitution of the United States

Chapter XI,   pp. 665-697 PDF (18.3 MB)

Page 674

lot afterward occupied by the harness-shop of J. A. Erhart. Eaton went to
California in 1850,
having resigned in favor of D. F. Newcomb, who shortly afterward removed
the office to
Griswold's store. Addison Griswold became Postmaster under President Pierce,
but Mr. New-
comb remained with him for some time and attended to the business. The office
was after-
ward removed to the building which then stood where is now situated John
Swarthout's brick
drug store. When Buchanan's administration came into power, A. G. Cook became
appointee and removed the office to the present site of Winler's jewelry
store, into a building
which had formerly been used -by Mr. Farnham when Register of Deeds, and
which was moved
from  its original foundations to make room   for Farnham's old red store,
which was in turn
moved to Sargent's corner, to make room for Schaeffer's brick block. In 1859,
Mr. Cook
built what is now used as a millinery shop by Mrs. .Dering and removed thither.
Under Lin-
coln's first administration Frank Huggins was made Postmaster. When he first
took possession
he occupied the structure formerly used by Griswold as Postmaster, but in
1868 he moved
the office into his new drug store. In May, 1869, John Swarthout was appointed
to the posi-
tion of Postmaster, and has held the office ever since, his long tenure being
evidence of his
ability. The Columbus Post Office was made a money-order office in 1867,
the first order being
issued September 9 of that year. Frank Huggins. the Postmaster, was the remitter
and W. D.
Ogden, of Chicago, the payee, the amount being $10. The number of orders
issued up to
March 31, 1880, is 18,415. H. D. James, who has been Assistant Postmaster
for nearly twelve
years, furnishes the 'following interesting statistics, which are in marked
contrast with the num-
ber of letters it was the'wont of "1 old Hyson " to carry in his
hat: "The number of letters
received at the office delivery during the year 1879 is estimated at 72,125;
postal cards at
35,420. Number of letters mailed, 63,480; postals, 32,540. The number of
stamps sold was
8,470 1-cent, 1,756 2-cent, 56,738 3-cent, 921 5-cent, 416 6-cent, 592 10-cent,
83 15-cent,
41 30-cent and 24,391 postal cards ; stamped envelopes 11,410 and stamped
newspaper wrap-
pers 2,307. The discrepancy between the amount of postal cards sold and the
amount mailed
is caused by the large number mailed by traveling men which are furnished
them by the houses
for which they travel.
                                        THE SCHOOLS.
     The citizens of Columbus enjoy school privileges excelled by few cities
in the State.  These
educational advantages were not attained all at once, nor without much effort.
There is a fund
of local history associated with their growth. It is said that Columbus never
possessed a log
schoolhouse. That rough cradle of learning, which many distinguished men
recall in the glamour
nhat memory throws around boyhood as their only alma mater, never reared-its
rugged exterior
in the community.   The old schoolhouse which stood on Ludington street was
bfiilt in 1846,,at
a cost of $400. It was the scene of many varying events, often doing duty
as a church, town
hall, etc. Political harangues and religious exhortations, and much very
far from kin to the
latter, found voice within its walls. It saw festivity and mourning, and
is itself fast coming to
     In this seat of learning a school-meeting was held in November, 1849,
at which J. J. Guppey
was Chairman, and F. F. Farnham, Clerk pro tern. On that evening, pursuant
to a notice, an
election for district officers was held, and Robert Mills was elected Director;
J. T. Lewis was
elected-Treasurer, and H. S. Haskell, Clerk: At that same meeting, several
resolutions passed
which may be of some interest at this date, by way of comparison; $10 were
voted to procure
seats for the schoolhouse. It was voted-to have four months' winter school,
with a male teacher.
On the succeeding page is a report of the District Clerk to the Town Superintendent,
states that on the 1st of September, 1850, there were residing in the district
(No. 2) forty-seven
male and forty-five female persons, between the age of four and twenty years;
that sixty-six
pupils attended during the winter term, and sixty-two during the summer;
E. E. Randall
taught four months, and Agnes N. Butts five months; the former was paid $100,
and the latter
$56; the amount of money received from the Town Superinten"ent was $91.50,
and the amount
raised by the district was $80. The text-books used during the school were
Sanders' Speller,

Go up to Top of Page