University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
The State of Wisconsin Collection

Page View

The history of Columbia County, Wisconsin, containing an account of its settlement, growth, development and resources; an extensive and minute sketch of its cities, towns and villages--their improvements, industries, manufactories, churches, schools and societies; its war record, biographical sketches, portraits of prominent men and early settlers; the whole preceded by a history of Wisconsin, statistics of the state, and an abstract of its laws and constitution and of the constitution of the United States
(1880)

Chapter XI,   pp. 665-697 PDF (18.3 MB)


Page 672


HISTORY OF COLUMBIA COUNTY.
three wards, and it was provided that elections be held the first Tuesday
of April in each year.
Section 2 of the charter provided that "the elective officers of said
city shall be a Mayor, a
Treasurer, an Assessor and a Police Justice, elected for and by the city
at large, and three Alder-
men ; one supervisor, to represent his ward in the Board of Supervisors of
Columbia County;
one Justice of the Peace and one Constable, to be elected by and for each
ward."  A subsequent
amendment to the charter repealed the clause providing for the election of
a Police Justice, and
the duties formerly devolving upon that officer, are now performed by the
Ward Justices.  The
city officers elected since the incorporation are:
     1874-L. J. Sawyer, Mayor; H. Rowell, Police Justice; H. D'. James, Treasurer;
John
 C. Hoppin, Assessor.  Aldermen-First Ward, R. W. Chadbourn, E. D. Kanouse,
Joseph
 Schaeffer; Second Ward, John Hasey, J. S. Manning, Frank Huggins; Third
Ward, C. A.
 Colonius, J. Topp, Frederick Hanneman. John Topp removed in July, and A.
G. Cook was
 elected to fill vacancy. City Clerk, C. L. Dering; Marshal, 0. M. Dering.
Justice of the
 Peace-Third Ward, E. V. Briesen.    (Other Justices of the Peace did not
qualify.)
     1875-L. J. Sawyer, Mayor; Michael Adams, Police Justice; W. G. Bresee,
Treasurer;
 John C. Hoppin, Assessor. Aldermen-First Ward, R. W. Chadbourn, E. D. Kanouse,
Joseph
 Schaeffer; Second Ward, John Hasey, J. S. Manning, D. C. Davies; Third Ward,
A. G.
 Cook, F. Hannemann, August Krause. City Clerk, E. V. Briesen; Marshal, 0.
M. Dering.
     1876-W. M. Griswold, Mayor; Michael Adams, Police Justice; Chas. A.
Colonius, Treas-
 urer; H. A. Lueders. Assessor. Aldermen-First Ward, R. W. Chadbourn, E.
D. Kanouse,
 M. G. St. John; Second Ward, John Hasey, J. S. Manning, D. C. Davies; Third
Ward, A.
 G. Cook, F. Hannemann, August Krause. Alderman Krause removed out of the
ward in
 May, 1876, vacancy not filled. City Clerk, E. V. Briesen; Marshal, Alfred
Miller; Justice,
 E. V. Briesen, Third Ward.
     1877-0. E. Cornwell, Mayor; M. Adams, Police Justice; C. A. Colonius,
Treasurer;
 L. Birdsey, Assessor. Aldermen-First Ward, W. G. Bresee, E. D. Kanouse,
M. G. St. John;
 Second Ward, John Hasey, D. C. Davies, August Krause; Third Ward, H. C.
Fields, C. Ulm,
 F. Hannemann. City Clerk, E. V. Briesen; Marshal, A. McConnell; Justice,
First Ward,
 Hy. Annis (for one year).
     1878-O. E. Cornwell, Mayor; C. A. Colonius, Treasurer; L. Birdsey, Assessor.
Alder-
men-First Ward, W. G. Bresee, E. D. Kanouse, M. G. St. John; Second Ward,
John Hasey,
R. D. Vanaken, August Krause; Third Ward, H. C. Fields, C. Ulm, F. Hannemann.
City
Clerk, E. V. Briesen; Marshal, A. McConnell; Justices-First Ward, H. Annir;
Third Ward,
E. V. Briesen.
     1879-0. E. Cornwell, Mayor; C. A. Colonius, Treasurer-; L. Birdsey,
Assessor. Alder-
men-First Ward, W. G..Bresee, E. D. Kanouse, R. W. Chadbourn; Second Ward,
John
Hasey, R. D. Vanaken, August Krause; Third Ward, H. C. Fields, C. Ulm, C.
Leitsch. City
Clerk, E. V. Briesen; Marshal, 0. M. Dering.
     1880-0. E. Cornwell, Mayor; C. A. Colonius, Treasurer; L. Birdsey, Assessor.
Alder-
men-First Ward, W. M. Griswold, E. D. Kanouse, R. W. Chadbourn; Second Ward,
John
Hasey, R. D. Vanaken, August Krause; Third Ward, C. Ulm, C. Leitsch, J. A.
Erhart. City
Clerk, E. V. Briesen; Marshal, H. W. McCafferty; Justices-First Ward, J.
R. Decker;
Third Ward, E. V. Briesen.
     The original plat of the town of Columbus, embracing the four corners,
the town pump,
and a few acres, has from necessity been extended in either direction, and
now covers hundreds
of acres. Instead of only "the cross roads," are now scores of
streets lined with maple, elm,
linden and poplar shade trees, at sight, beautiful and attractive. Modest
dwelling-houses, hand-
some cottages and splendid mansions, surrounded by lawn, trees, shrubs, flowers
and cultivated
gardens are now seen, in place of the rude structure and unbroken, uncultivated
soil of early
days.
;7'2


Go up to Top of Page