University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
The State of Wisconsin Collection

Page View

The history of Columbia County, Wisconsin, containing an account of its settlement, growth, development and resources; an extensive and minute sketch of its cities, towns and villages--their improvements, industries, manufactories, churches, schools and societies; its war record, biographical sketches, portraits of prominent men and early settlers; the whole preceded by a history of Wisconsin, statistics of the state, and an abstract of its laws and constitution and of the constitution of the United States

Chapter XI,   pp. 665-697 PDF (18.3 MB)

Page 670

are druggists ; J. B. Ingalls & Co. are jewelers, in the rear of Cooper's,
and J. S. Haines has
a shoe shop in the same block, which seems to have been a sort of omnibus;
William Drake
has a wagon-shop on Ludington street; T. Bottom is maker of shoes on that
avenue, and Mrs.
Dayton has a boot and shoe store on that street; Mrs. N. Bissell has a millinery
shop at her
residence; Nelson Adams advertises to cure the public homeopathically, from
his residence in
West Columbus; Dr. Tucker is a botanic physician, office at his residence,
No. 2 Broadway ;
A. G. Cook is an attorney and counselor; Drs. Earll and J. C. Axtell are
physicians, and A. J.
Willson is a dentist-all doing business one door north of Cooper's store.
     Prior to May, 1864, Columbus was under town government.   The villagers
took part in
town affairs, and those residing " in the country " had a voice
in all that pertained to the gov-
ernment of the villagers. But there came a time when the interests of these
two classes of
residents were not identical, when the requirements of one were not to the
advantage of the
other, and vice versa. The remedy came in the shape of a villagb charter,
and Columbus was
incorporated as a village by the provisions of an act passed by the State
Legislature, approved
March, 30, 1864. The boundaries were set forth to be all of Section 13, except
the southeast
quarter of the southeast quarter, and the southwest quarter of the southwest
quarter; all that
part of the south half of the south half of Section 12 included within the
village plat of the
town of Columbus and the several additions thereto; the northeast quarter
of the southeast
quarter of Section 14, all in Town 10, Range 12.
     Section 3 provided that "the elective officers of said corporation
shall be one president,
four trustees, one marshal and one treasurer, to be elected annually on the
first Tuesday in May."
During the ten years it remained a village the following officers were elected:
     1864-President, R. W. Chadbourn; Trustees, F. F. Farnham, Silais Axtell,
John Hasey
and Thomas Smith.
     1865-President, R. W. Chadbourn ; Trustees, John Hasey, E. S. Griswold,
G. T. Dodge
and Thomas Smith; Treasurer, Milo J. Ingalls; Marshal, B. F. Hart.
     1866-President, W. W. Drake; Trustees, E. S. Griswold, J. A. Erhart,
G. W. Camp-
bell and Joseph E. Churchill; Treasurer, J. P. Miller; Marshal, M. B. Misner.
     1867-President, F. F. Farnham; Trustees, D. F. Newcomb, Julius Fox,
J. S. Manning
and A. J. Whitcomb.
     1868-President, Daniel E. Bassett; Trustees, John Swarthout, L. J. Sawyer,
 Quincy Adams and Julius Fox.
     1869-President, Daniel E. Bassett; Trustees, J. S. Manning, J. Q. Adams,
L. J. Saw-
yer and Joseph Schaeffer.
     11870-President, W. M. Griswold; Trustees, Frank Huggins, M. G. St.
John, Joseph
Schaeffer and J. M. G. Price; Treasurer, Milo Ingalls; Marshal, 0. M. Dering.
     1871-President, J. S. Manning; Trustees-F. Huggins, L. J. Sawyer, Joseph
and James F. Allen; Treasurer, Milo Ingalls; Marshal, Adam McConnell.
     1872-President, Frank Huggins; Trustees, L. J. Sawyer, Joseph Schaeffer,
E. E.
Chapin and James F. Allen; Treasurer, James Lowth; Marshal, A. J. Whitcomb.
     1873-President, Frank Huggins; Trustees, E. E. Chapin, L. J. Sawyer,
Joseph Schaeffer
and James F. Allen; Treasurer, James Lowth; Marshal, A. J. Whitcomb.
     From the organization of Columbus as a village to its incorporation
as a city, Charles L.
Dering, now a resident of Portage, acted as Clerk.
     Incorporated as a City.-There had been considerable agitation of the
question of incor-
porating as a city, on account of the difficulty encountered in filling a
village charter to the
requirements of a city de facto. In the month of December, 1873, the question
began to take
form, and a determination to organize under city charter was the result.
Between the last meet-
ing of the Board of Trustees, in December, and the first meeting in January,
the question was

Go up to Top of Page