Whitbeck, R. H., 1871-1939 (Ray Hughes) / The geography and economic development of southeastern Wisconsin
Chapter VIII. The city and county of Kenosha, pp. 179-211 PDF (8.2 MB)
-----A 017nV MP RnUIPTMARTERN WISCONSIN 180 Kenosha County had 14 butter and cheese factories and 6 flour and grist mills, nearly all of which have passed out of exist- ence. It hardly seems possible that the Fox River could ever have been used for navigation, yet a small steamer, the Lady Cath-. erine, was launched at Wilmot in 1854 and was used for tow- ing purposes during the construction of a railroad in the val- ley. Later, in the years between 1868 and 1878, a steamer 65 feet in length is reported to have navigated the river at times of high water; considerable dredging was dine for the purpose of deepening the channel. RoADs AND RAILROADs Three important east-west roads traversed the- county in the early days. One ran from Kenosha through Paris to Burling- ton; another from Kenosha through Pleasant Prairie to Wil- mot and on into Illinois; and a third-later planked as far as Fox River-from Kenosha directly west to Lake Geneva. The old mail road from Chicago northward crossed the eastern end of the county. This was a U. S. Government road, substan- tially built and extensively used. It was the chief north-south highway of the time. The first railroads completed in the county were the Chicago and Milwaukee (1855) and the Kenosha and Fox River R. R. (1857-59). Both of these lines are now parts of the Chicago and NorthWestern system (Fig. 34). In 1873 the Chicago, Milwaukee and St. Paul line between Milwaukee and Chicago was opened. In 1888 the Wisconsin Central, now the Soo Line, was built through the western part of the county. In 1906 the Chicago and North Western opened its double track freight line through from Milwaukee to Chi- cago. Thus, there are six tracks traversing the eastern end of the county in addition to two electric lines. IfLNUFACTU1RING The county is peculiar in that practically all of its' manufac- turing is done in one place, the city of Kenosha. There are only 2 creameries in the county, 1 condensary and 5 active cheese factories (1920). In the southeastern part of the county is a powder mill belonging to the DuPont Company, employing 1150 to .200 persons.
Based on date of publication, this material is presumed to be in the public domain.| For information on re-use, see http://digital.library.wisc.edu/1711.dl/Copyright