University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
The State of Wisconsin Collection

Page View

Town of Frankfort centennial
(1890-1990)

Businesses,   pp. 111-119


Page 117

Cheese Factories of
the Town of Frankfort
Years of Operation
#1 Frederick Michler 1886 - unknown
#2 Cream Separation Plant 1894 - 1910
#3 Diamond Cheese Factory 1910 - 1969
#4 Gartmann Cheese Factory 1896 - 1933
#5 Frankfort Cheese 1905 - to present
#6 William Giese    1924 - 1928
#7 Herb Wehrman     1925-1935
1886
The Fred Michlers family settled here in 1876. He started
the first cheese factory in the Frankfort township in 1886. This
land is located on the S.E. S.E. comer of Section 13 and is
currently owned by Rodney Passehl. Cheese was made by Mr.
Michlers son, Albert and his daughter, Minnie. No record is
known as to how long this factory was in operation.
1894
Another factory built as a skimming station was built by Mr.
Kruetzer and Mr. Jenkins of Athens on the N.E. N.E. corner of
Section 11 in 1894. This was the first local factory where
farmers were able to sell their milk. The cream was sold to the
butter plant in Athens which was also owned by Kruetzer and
Jenkins.
DIAMOND CHEESE FACTORY 7
M. M.,,,,., Pr....,
-  ory StateMont
Month.....
Lbs of  heese-  --------------
Lbs of m ilk  ------------- -1-
Average pric per...
Total whey cre.4       ... -
Total money reved $...........
Money paid out ...........
Average  test ........................................
Price per lb, butterfat .. -4 ----------
Prictpe lb butterfat ....................-.-
pi
Frankfort Cheese Factory


Go up to Top of Page