University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
The State of Wisconsin Collection

Page View

Town of Frankfort centennial
(1890-1990)

Businesses,   pp. 111-119


Page 116

He was, also, one of the first to start hauling granite and
gravel in this area, which he did for about 20 years. In addition:
he operated a power shovel dragline andbulldozer for many con-
tractors in the area; he did custom combining of grain for several
years, with four Case combines; and he operated a portable
sawmill for about 10 years. An accident resulted in the loss of
sight in one eye. He retired in 1972.
Others who did trucking in the early 1930's were Herman
Christiansen, Martin Mielke, Jake Christiansen and Loddie
Loskot. They trucked logs, pulp wood and granite. Later came
the trucking of milk by the cheese factories.
The Town of Frankfort had one large trucking operation, lo-
cated on NE, NE corner of Section 4, which was started by
Wayne Belanger in 1971. He owned his own granite pit in the
Town of Emmet and trucked granite, sand and gravel to the
many townships and counties. He operated a dozen semi-
tractors and trailers for this purpose. He, also, started long
distance trucking, employing 25 people. He had an auction to
sell his equipment.
Construction &
Related Fields
Ferdinand Holubetz was a painter and decorator, who did
nuch of the painting in the churches of the area. In the early
1910's, he painted many homes in the Town of Frankfort and
continued this for many years. In his later years, he was
engaged in the antique business. He lived in Section 6.
The following were stone masons, in the Town of Frankfort,
in the early years: Fred Passehl, Ernest Passehl, Paul Syring,
Herman Syring and Adolph Bornowski.
Frank Prohaska did electrical wiring, in Frankfort, in the
1920's. He lived in Section 4 and did some of the first electrical
wiring in the area. He later moved to Hawkins, WI.
Vincent Schillinger was a painter, who painted many of the
barns and homes of the area, in the 1920's and 1930's. He
worked with Ferdinand Holubetz, who was his brother-in-law.
Loddie Loskot attended the Coyne Electrical College, in
Chicago, and did a small amount of farmstead wiring in the
1940's.
Arnold (Arnie) Seeger did plumbing and heating work dur-
ing the years of 1941 - 1949, while he lived in the Town of
Frankfort. He moved to Marshfield, in 1949, where he worked
for Sears and Roebuck as their furnace man for several years.
He, then, started his own plumbing business, from which he
retired in 1979. He had farmed on the old Gerhard Punke farm,
on the SW, SW corner of Section 14, while living in Frankfort.
Miscellaneous
Otto Remus, who lived in Section 11, and Richard Remus,
who lived in Section 4, did veterinarian work for farmers before
licensed veterinarians were available. The Remuses were
cousins.
August Giese, Jr. started sawing wood with a portable circle
saw rig, which was run by a gas engine. He started sawing wood,
in 1917, at the age of 17 and worked every winter after that for
15 years. He charged $2.00 an hour, which included the labor
of the sawyer and the use of the machine. This was a familiar
custom, called a wood sawing bee, a time when neighbors got
together and helped each other.
Matt Dvorak was a master custom shoe maker, having
learned his trade in Bohemia, Europe. He did some shoe making
in the early 1910's. He lived in Section 11.
Frank Loskot, Sr. did shoe repair work at his home, located
in Section 12, from 1918 to 1930. He repaired shoes and rubbers
for many of the local school children and adults in the commu-
nity.
Arthur (Art) Thieme operated a blacksmith shop and did
horse shoeing for area farmers from 1930 to 1936, on his farm in
Section 9, which is now owned by Edward Mielke. Mr. Thieme
sold his place and moved to Clark County in 1936.
Ferdinand Gartman Sr. Cheese Factory


Go up to Top of Page