Town of Frankfort centennial
Businesses, pp. 111-119
Rodman's Bar Oscar Rodman Oscar Rodman built a garage and gas station the NE, NE corner in Section 1, in 1935. He operated it for two years, until 1937, when he remodeled it into a tavern and dance hall. In 1945, he again remodeled the tavern and added a frozen food locker plant, where he did custom cutting and wrapping of meat. He, also, rented out locker boxes. He continued the locker plant until 1971, when his house, which was located next to the tavern, burned down. He built a new home and discontinued the custom meat business. He operated the tavern until 1977, when he died. His wife, Helen, continued to operate the tavern until their son, Gene, took it over in 1984. Knotty Pine Tavern The Knotty Pine Tavern was built in 1947 by Ibny and Violet Bohman. They owned and operated it for ten years as abeerbar. At that time beer was sold at 5¢ for a 7 oz. glass, 10 for a 12 oz. glass and $2.50 for a case. Candy bars were 5v each. Mr. & Mrs. James Kann rented the business, in 1957, for 16 months. In 1959, the Bohmans sold it to Aloys Brown. Taverns & Associated Businesses When Highway 29 was constructed, in 1929, and Highway 97, in 1930, several business places sprang up across the road from Frankfort. The first was probably Burger's Store and Tavern on NW, NW corner of Section 6, Town ofWien, which was built in 1929. In 1933, at the same location, a dance hall was built called the Trianon Gardens, named after a dance hall in Chicago. It is still being run by the Burger family. In 1930, a tavern and gas station was built by Fred Rodman on the SW, SW corner of Section 30, Town of Reitbrock and was operated by Fred Bunde. It is currently operated by Wally Augustine. Victor Dahlke Sr. operated a blacksmith shop on the SW, SW corner of Section 18, Town of Wien, in the early years. In 1933, Bernard Dahlke converted the shop into a tavern. In 1937, he built a new home, tavern, grocery store and gas station on the NW, NW corner of Section 19. He operated it until 1963, when he sold it to Alex Dahlke. It is now operated by Mike Sebold.. A saloon was opened on the Reinhold Viegut farm, in about 1932, located on SE, SE corner in Section 12. A license was issued to a Frank Fischer, in 1932, who operated it for several years. Besides selling soft drinks he, also, made moonshine and near beer and served lunches. No one remembers how long the saloon was in operation. Ervin Viegut rented the farm in the spring of 1933. But, in March of 1935 the buildings burned down. Other Businesses Through the years, farmers in the township have needed extra income to supplement what they are making on the farm. Some have chosen to work "off the farm", to start a small business of their own or by doing custom work. Barbaring & Haircutting Charles Brown didbarbering in his early years when he lived in Athens and later in the Town of Frankfort starting sometime around the turn of the century, perhaps in 1893. Henry Hoppenworth did barbering at his farm, in the town- ship located in Section 12 on SE, SE corner. This was during the depression years, in the late twenties and the early thirties. Haircuts were 25g at that time. He had to discontinue barber- ing after the village barbers complained that he was operating without a license. This farm was first owned by a F. Knaak family and is currently owned by Kenneth Dahlke. Sebastian Christiansen, known as "Bass", did barbering starting in the early 1930's, while living on the home farm, which is currently owned by William Martyn. He continued barbering on the Frank Wirkus farm, which he purchased in 1944. This farm is now owned by Ted Streit. 'Bass" was in barbering for approximately 40 years. He retired in 1976, when he moved to Edgar. Automotive, Equipment and Mechanical Work Fred Nienow Jr., took a short course inAuto Mechanics with the Motor Institute of America of Chicago, in 1931. He did auto repairing.service at his father's farm, in Section 10, from 1932 to 1937. Otto Hoernke did machine shop work on his farm, in Section 22, during the 1940's. He, also, purchased the first portable Case hay baler and did custom work for farmers. This was a wire tie baler. Two men had to ride the baler and tie the bales with wire as they were expelled from the machine. The bales were then dropped on the ground to be picked up later. Frankfort Auto & Machine Roland Tbtzke started a machine shop on his father's farm in Section 23 in 1966. He had worked for Gottchalk Bros. of Edgar before starting his own shop. In addition to his regular machine shop work, he sells and services snowmobiles. He, also, holds an airplane flying license and is in the process of building his own airplane. Glen Busche purchased the Upham School building, in 1967, where he started a garage repair service and an automobile wrecking yard. This was located on SE, SE corner in Section 28. In 1977, he closed his operation in Frankfort and moved his business to the Town of Wien, across the road from Section 30 in Frankfort.
This material may be protected by copyright law (Title 17, US Code).| For information on re-use see: http://digital.library.wisc.edu/1711.dl/Copyright