University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
The State of Wisconsin Collection

Page View

Town of Frankfort centennial
(1890-1990)

Businesses,   pp. 111-119


Page 113

Inside the Peter Christiansen Saloon
(1-r) Peter Christian sen & Joe Bargender St.
time. It was then rented to Charles Schaus in about 1936. The
saloon was sold to a Fritz Wagner in 1939. In 1940 the saloon
burned down.
In 1919, the 18th amendment was passed by Congress,
which stated that no beer or liquor could be sold which contained
more than 1% alcohol. All that could be legally sold was soft
drinks and near beer.
This did not stop the drinking public from making their own
home brew, which was more than 1% alcohol. They, also, made
their own whiskey, which was called moonshine. The name
must have originated from making the liquor during the moon-
light, in order to avoid detection by Federal Inspectors.
Frankfort was no exception in the making of moonshine. It
must have had several dozen stills at that time. Liquor was sold
at dances, outside the dance halls. Some ofit sold for five dollars
a gallon. It was said that some of the moonshine was potent
enough to be called rat poison.
The people making the moonshine made good money at it
during the depression years. The danger was in drinking too
much of it themselves or in getting caught by federal agents,
which did happen to some of them.
The 18th amendment was repealed by Congress when Fran-
klin Roosevelt was elected President. The name saloon was then
replaced by the name tavern, for a drinking establishment.
Punke's Tavern
Gerhard Punke owned land in Section 17 next to Randal
Creek. This road with a curve in itis now known as Huckelberry
Road.
In 1936, Ben Punke, a son of Gerhard, built a bungalow
house on this land. In 1938, Arnold and Herman Punke, broth-
ers of Ben Punke, remodeled the house into a beer bar. Arnold
operated the bar as a tavern for 18 months until July 1939. The
house was then sold and moved to Colby.
Buckhorn Tavern
The tavern was converted from an old cheese factory, first
owned by Herb Wehrman in 1925, then by Ralph Scheel in 1935.
In 1946, it was purchased by Art Behringer, who remodeled it
into a tavern. He operated it for about one year before selling it
to Otto Leffel in 1947. Otto Leffel operated it until 1955, when
he sold it to Adrian Waniger, who stayed until 1964. He sold it
to Leon Sazama, who operated it until 1973, when he sold it to
Daniel Kaser. The present owner is Richard Cole. Arthur Voigt
leased the tavern in 1985. This tavern is located in the NE, NE
corner of Section 20.
Country Aire
Country Aire Tavern
This tavern was built new on the SW, SW corner of Section
36 by Felix Bohman in 1946. He sold it to his brother Anton, who
received a tavern license in May of 1945. Anton operated it until
August 15, 1959 when he sold it to Aloys Brown. He sold it to
Ardell Emon, who sold it to the present owner, Duane Bohman.
This tavern has been rented out to several operators, namely:
Jim Kann, Allen Knetter and William Marohl.


Go up to Top of Page