University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
The State of Wisconsin Collection

Page View

Town of Frankfort centennial
(1890-1990)

Churches,   pp. 51-56


Page 56

RI
Row #4
MUELLER     Ellnora - May 30, 1927 - June 17, 1927
Father, George - 1870 - 1941
Mother, Anna - 1885 - 1965
MUELLER     Orville -June 20,1923 - May 18, 1984
EMUS        Father, Albert -  1858 - 1930
Verna, Daughter of S. &
E. Remus - 1926 - 1931
DORFSCHMIDT        Father, Herman - 1870 - 1938
Mother, Bertha - 1867 - 1950
DORFSCHMIDT        Otto W. - 1893 - 1974
BIELKE      Carl - May 5, 1873 - Sept. 28, 1951
Augusta - March 16, 1869 - Jan. 3, 1949
Row #5
Grave without headstone, artificial flowers
GIESE      William - Oct. 18, 1921 - Feb. 4, 1925
Mary - March 13, 1888 - March 17, 1945
Fred -Jan. 31, 1876 - Dec. 10, 1945
CHRISTIANSEN      Father, Peter - 1864 - 1930
Mother, Karoline - 1872 - 1936
August H. - 1914 - 1956
Daughter, Janette - 1942 -
GIESE      August - 1853 - 1941
Bertha - 1863 - 1946 (Nee LAST)
HOFFMAN    Father, Paul - 1882 - 1977
Mother, Paulina - 1890 - 1964
BOBERT     Father, Ewald - Oct. 23,1889 - July 21,1969
Mother, Anna - March 1,1891 - Aug. 1,1967
JOHNSON    Erin Lynn - Sept. 6,1978
Granddaughter of E. & A. Bobert
Row #6
ZENK       Son, Robert -June 10, 1905 - April 27, 1921
Father, Albert - Nov. 3, 1860 - March 29, 1922
Mother, Emilea - June 10, 1870 - Apr. 24, 1938
LOSKOT     Son, Adolph - 1903-1931
(Dec. 18, 1903 - Oct. 13, 1931)
GIESE      Son, Leonard - 1926-1943
(July 18, 1926 - April 25, 1943)
Albina - 1903 - 1976
August - 1900 -
PODEVELS Herman C. - Sept. 9,1892 - Aug. 18,1985
Meta E. - Oct. 20, 1899 - May 8, 1979
DALLMAN    Father, Roy J. - 1926 - 1967
KOMAREK    John C. - 1901 - 1979'
Marcella - 1914 -
Row #7
YESSA      Infant of L. and A.
Infant of L. and A.
FUHRMANN Carl - June 15, 1854 - June 12, 1932
Caroline - Oct. 2, 1859 - Nov. 4, 1938
GOLDSCHMIDT Richard Sr. - 1903 - 1985
Ruth- 1901 -
HALVERSON         Lloyd H. - 1908 - 1969
Caroline - 1915 -
WENZEL     Father, Carl J. - Aug. 24, 1885 -
March 26, 1973
Mother, Phoebe L. - May 15,1890 -
May 21, 1977
HOFFMANN Father, Alfred - 1921 -
Daughter, Ronda L. - 1955-1975
Mother, Charlotte - 1932 -
Row #8
PETER      Anna - March 27, 1874 - Dec. 16,1929
Wilhelm - 1881 - 1956
Son, Eric - 1908 - 1936
THOMAS     Peter, died 1933
Ida, died 1984
HOERNKE    Edwin- 1901 - 1988
Frieda - 1905 - 1986
WIERSIG    Reinhardt - 1915 - 1977
Viola - 1919 -
Row #9
HANEMANN Fern, Johnna -Feb. 18,1930 - Feb. 24,1930
WENZEL     Lisa, Jane,
Daughter of E. & S. Wenzel - Oct. 24,1967
PODEVELS          Edward - 1894 - 1959
Row #10
CHRISTIANSEN
CHRISTIANSEN
EHMKE
BUNDE
Jacob - 1859 - 1933
Delmar - born and died June 27,1939
Walter A. - 1912 - 1938
Fred H. - 1899 - 1942
THE CATHOLIC RELIGION
Some of the early settlers coming to the Town of Frankfort
were of the Catholic faith. There were Bavarians, Germans,
Polish, & Bohemians who immigrated from different areas of
Europe.
Those who wanted to worship or have their children baptiz-
ed had to walk or ride to Colby, Edgar, or Athens where a
church was already established. This was a distance of ten or
twelve miles.
A circuit priest by the name of A. J. Jaerres, of Colby, was
concerned about Catholic families in Frankfort and was
instrumental in convincing the LaCrosse Diocese into buying
three acres of land to build a church in the township.
A warranty deed issued for one dollar, dated back to July 16,
1888, convening three acres of land, commencing at a point on
the S.W. Corner of the west half of the N.W. quarter of Section
10, Township 28, Range 3E, running north 16 Rods and east
30 Rods, purchased from Frank Beck and wife Francis to Rev.
K.C. Flasch Bishop of LaCrosse, Wisconsin Diocese. This land
was later owned by the Fred Nienow family.
A log church was built at this location by the several
Catholic families living in the community. Due to poor roads
or no roads at all from Colby, and the small membership in the
area, no regular church services were held, except whenever a
circuit priest was available or was called for special occasions.
A local cemetary was established at this site and several
young children were buried here with headstones placed on the
graves. There were only about three or four graves, some were
assumed to be children of the Joe Schrnirler Sr. family.
When the site was abandoned the grave stones were remov-
ed or plowed down. Several years after the log building
became vacant. A family by the name of Jacob Molleck moved
into the building until he could build a log house on his own
land located on the N.W., N.W. Corner in section four.
After the log church became vacant again, it was dis-
mantled by Fred Nienow and reassembled on his farm.
No record is available as to how many years this church was
active. About this same time a Catholic church was beginning
to take place in the Town of Johnson, which is now known as
Wurzburg.


Go up to Top of Page