University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
The State of Wisconsin Collection

Page View

Town of Frankfort centennial
(1890-1990)

Organizations,   pp. 43-50


Page 45

The club was quite active and grew in membership. Many of
the members that joined were from out of the Franklin School
District and lived south of County Trunk N.
It was their wish to have a club in their own community and
deciding to organize their own, they called it the South
Franklin Homemaker's Club.
The original Franklin Club continued to meet as usual. A
reorganizational meeting was needed because some of the
officers lived south of N, and had joined the South Franklin
Club.
It was assumed by the old charter members that the club
should continue as it was originally started since it was in the
same community with the same members and the same name.
The new members felt that they should start as a new club.
A reorganizational meeting was held at the Mrs. Melvin
Kilty home on April 22, 1947. Miss Merle Ramer the county
home agent was present to help reorganize the club. They
called the club the North Franklin Homemaker's Club.
The following members were present:
Mrs. Edgar Lenhard                Mrs. Arthur Giese
Mrs. Loddie Loskot                Mrs. Herbert Nienow
Mrs. Melvin Kilty                 Mrs. Carl Zenk
Mrs. Arnold Seeger                Mrs. Urban Decker
Mrs. Fred Weinke         ......   Mrs. Edward Kalepp
Mrs. Edgar Lenhard, president, called the meeting to order
and explained the goals of the homemaker's club. It was noted
to elect a new slate of officers at the next meeting at Mrs.
Herbert Nienow's home. The following officers were elected at
the May 22 meeting for the year of 1947 and 1948:
President ......................... Mrs. Herbert Nienow
Vice-president ................... Mrs. Edgar Lenhard
Secretary  ............................ Mrs. Melvin Kilty
Treasurer ........................... Mrs. Arnold Seeger
Activities of the club besides the regular activities of the
club and lessons received from the county extension office, the
following special ones were recorded.
On January 11, 1945, The County Homemakers Executive
Committee met at the Edgar Village Hall to plan the yearly
program. Those present were:
Miss Merle Ramer, County Home Agent
Mrs. Henry Prahl, President
Mrs. Joe Wirkus, Vice-president
Mrs. Alois Stange, Secretary
Mrs. William McNeight, Treasurer
District chairman were:
Mrs. Roman Berres, Athens District
Mrs. Loddie Loskot, Edgar District
Mrs. Martin Lueck, Hamburg District
Mrs. George Alberts, Stratford District
Mrs. John Spencer, Stratford District
Mrs. Fred Karl, Wausau I
Mrs. Otto Kalinke, Easton, Wausau II
The club at this time belonged to the Edgar District. One of
their main projects that the club accepted from the town chair
man, Fred Neitzel was a federally sponsored program to move
surplus cotton to be made into mattresses. Any low income
family was allowed to make a mattress for their own use. Mrs
Loddie Loskot, club president, accepted the supervision of the
oroject in 1941. With the help of some of the members, the pro
ject of making the mattresses was done at the Town Halls
The families receiving the mattresses helped make their ov
mattress. A total of about 40 mattresses were made.
Another project the president accepted from the Tow
chairman was help with checking farms for gasoline rationinf
that were sent into Wausau by people from the Town of
Frankfort.
The Edgar District was asked by the County Home Agent
to have some of their ladies be on a panel on the noon show
They were to speak on the subject of "Raising Chickens" ove
W.S.A.U. Radio Station. The ladies were Mrs. Loddie Loskot
Mrs. Joe Wirkus, and Mrs. John Enders.
Because of more clubs in the Edgar District than thE
Cherokee District, the Franklin Homemakers Club wa
transferred to the Cherokee District. Mrs. Loddie Loskot wa
elected Chairman of the Cherokee District. Miss Ramer wa
having a leader lesson at the Cherokee Hall on how to carve f
pig. A specialist from the extension department at Madiso
was giving the demonstration. It was Mrs. Loskot's job t(
find some farmer that was butchering at this time so that th
demonstration could go on. Luckily one of her neighbors wal
very cooperative and butchered his pig a week early.
It is unfortunate that when the club was divided that th
secretary's and treasurer's books were misplaced or lost an(
no regular meeting reports are available.
Presidents and activities of the reorganized North Franklin
Homemaker's Club, April 22, 1947.
Presidents:
1947-48 Mrs. Herbert Nienow
1948-49 Mrs. Edward Kalepp
1950-52 Mrs. Elmer Schemenauer
1953-54 Mrs. Melvin Kilty
1955-56 Mrs. Walter Mueller
1957-58 Mrs. Edward Kalepp
1959-60 Mrs. Merlin Kilty
1961-62 Mrs. Melvin Kilty
1963-64 Mrs. Elmer Schemenauer
1965-66 Mrs. Edward Kalepp
1967-68 Mrs. William Olson
1969-70 Mrs. Edward Kalepp
1971-72 Mrs. Merlin Kilty
1973-74 Mrs. Melvin Kilty
1975-76 Mrs. Meldon Giese
1977-78 Mrs. Walter Streit
1979-80 Mrs. Lyle Duvall
1981-82 Donna Kilty
1982-84 Marjean Streit
1985-86 Barb Giese
1987-88 Alvina Giese
1989-90 Mayme Kilty
Activities of the club:
Besides entertaining the family members, taking the
husbands out to eat, holding annual picnics, card parties am
trips, this club has also been of service to the community.
They have donated $5.00 each year for 25 years to the Mard
of Dimes for polio fund. Other donations to Red Cross, cancer
and heart fund have amounted to more than $50.00.


Go up to Top of Page