University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
The State of Wisconsin Collection

Page View

Town of Frankfort centennial
(1890-1990)

Settling the township: early life in the Town of Frankfort,   pp. 27-39


Page 34

Circa 1990 Home of Mr. & Mrs. John Bobert. Standing is Mrs. Bobert with son Arthur. Olga is in
the window.
FARMING
After the Civil War, much of the land in this area was deeded
to Civil War Veterans as a bonus for their services to their
country which they could homestead and claim. This can be
verified on the old abstracts. There is a question as tohow many
of the veterans took advantage of this bonus. If they didn't, the
land reverted back to the government.
Most of the land was repurchased by Land and Lumber
Companies. After logging it off, it was offered for sale to the
settlers. Many of the first settlers purchased their land for $1.25
per acre from these land companies.
Much of the land was purchased without being seen. There
were no roads, so the men walked into the wilderness and
cleared a space to build a log house. This had to be done before
they could move their family in. Others preferred to build near
a community so as to be close to neighbors.
Logbarn on the Walter Brown farm. The barn is no longer
standing and the farm is owned by Walt's son, Ronald.
Starting to develop a farm out of the woods was a slow
process and required a lot of hard work.
First the trees and brush were cut down and burned. The
stumps were grubbed out by hand. If they could afford it, a horse
and plow were purchased. A cow, a sheep and pig were usually
kept by most settlers. Not until the basic farm machinery was
built and people could afford to buy it was progress noted.
Horse power followed hand power before the turn of the
century and continued until almost 1930.
Steam power was around long before but was not used for
farming. Some of the early firms experimenting and developing
the gasoline tractor were J.I. Case and Waterloo Boy by John
Deere. The first really successful gasoline tractor was built by
Charles Hart and Charles Parr, students at the University of
Wisconsin. In 1900 they moved to Charles City, Iowa and in
Frank Loskot on his Happy Farmer Tractor made by a
company in LaCrosse, Wisconsin.


Go up to Top of Page