Wisconsin Rural Electric Cooperative Association / First yearbook, 1938
Introduction: local cooperative histories, pp. 33-49 PDF (4.3 MB)
42 WISCONSIN RURAL ELECTRIC COOPERATIVE ASSOCIATION 1937, as the PIERCE-PEPIN ELECTRIC COOPERATIVE. The original member- ship was 982 farmers. Since the construction started in September, new members have applied daily, seventy-five being received by November. County Agents John Seyforth of Pierce County and 0. G. Woelfel of Pepin County have been of very great assistance to their farmer groups. The City of Ellsworth is quite central to all sections of the project and is the location of the Cooperative's office. Here, on the last Wednesday of each month, the following men, who have been elected to the Board of Directors, meet for their regular business meeting. SIDNEY PETERSON, President, Hager City ROLAND JOHNSON, Vice-President, Pepin WALTER M. LEONARD, Secretary-Treasurer, Ellsworth Directors: Nicou JOHNSON, River Falls PAUL JOHNSON, Ellsworth MANLEY OLSON, Beldenville WILLIAM BUTEL, Beldenville GEORGE ANDREWS, Bay City ALMON VANDEBERC, Prescott The duly chosen and approved Project Superintendent is A. M. Ander- son of Ellsworth. He is assisted in the office by Wanda E. Birkel as stenographer and E. C. Brown as Head Easement Solicitor. The contract for the construction of these lines in Pierce and Pepin counties was let to L. G. Arnold, Inc. of Eau Claire, who is building under the supervision of STATEWIDE. In spite of frost and snow it is anticipated that construction will proceed to completion within the term of the contract which closes April 1, 1938. G. L. VanFleet is resident engineer. The PIERCE-PEPIN ELECTRIC COOPERATIVE is a member of the Wis- consin Power Cooperative, their Secretary-Treasurer, Mr. Leonard, being also Secretary-Treasurer of the Power Cooperative, and on the Board of Directors and the Executive Committee. Wm. Butel is also on the Board of Directors of both organizations. The substation from which the lines of this community will be fed is on Unit 3, or the west leg of the transmission line, and is located at Ellsworth. PROJECT Wisconsin-35-Richland Wisconsin-35B-Richland On the second day of May, 1936, a telegram from Washington an- nounced the first allotment of REA money to Wisconsin. The RICHLAND COOPERATIVE ELECTRIC ASSOCIATION was one of the two recipients, the COLUMBUS COOPERATIVE being the other group to be made happy. The RICHLAND COOPERATIVE ELECTRIC ASSOCIATION incorporated their cooperative on January 20, 1936. They became the first project for which actual construction plans were made and the first to begin construction. The low bid for this 232 mile project was presented by the Industrial Electric Company of New Orleans, Louisiana, who moved to Richiand Center and made preparations for starting construction early in Septem- ber, 1937.
This material may be protected by copyright law (e.g., Title 17, US Code).| For information on re-use, see http://digital.library.wisc.edu/1711.dl/Copyright