University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
The State of Wisconsin Collection

Page View

Sneath, Thomas S. / A directory of the city of Stoughton, and the villages of Edgerton, Milton and Milton Junction
(1882)

Historical sketch,   pp. [39]-50


Page 40

STOUGHTON CITY'DIRECTORY.
yet standing at the corner of Main and Page streets, was
built and Miss Fannie Duncan, wl~o had a short time
before opened a'school on the east side, moved into in. In
the same year (I85O), Mr. Stoughton put up a small grist
mill with one run of stone, but after a time, this proving
insufficient for the wants of the people, a larger one, ofbrick
with two run of stone, was constructed.             .11
In 1852 Amos Flyte opened his wagon shop and black-
smithing establishment beside the smoothly flowing Yahara..
About this time H. Holley took possession of a building
erected by C. Robey, alnd hung out the sign of the Crockett
House. The railroad survey and the prospect of its speedy
completion to the town materially increased its prosperity.
In 1853 Mr. West completed a brick hotel suited to the
wants of the time. In I8 5 Dr. W. W. Blackman and J.
R. Boyce erected a brick building from whence issued
in  after years drugs  and   medicines  warranted  to
scare death. This year of 1855 served as a land-
mark in   after times for many    of the inhabitants
of the village as it marked the date of the destruction of
the grist-mill, which was undermined by water-rats and fell
in the early hours of a spring morning-a complete ruin.
Mr. Stoughton being enfeebled in health at the time, felt un-
equal to the task of rebuilding and sold the site and water
power to Ray Jenkins, who erected the present Stoughton
mills. These have since successively been owned by
Walker, Williams & Co., Norris & Beattie, and Norris &
Dow.
In the year of 1855 the first addition was made to the
town by Mr. Stoughton. In the next decade the progress of
the village was something remarkable, but we have not the
space to follow it at length. Many fine residences and busi-
ness blocks were added, the opera house built and improve-
ments made in all directions. A newspaper, The Indepen-
deut, was published in i85j; the Universalist church was


Go up to Top of Page