University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
The State of Wisconsin Collection

Page View

Town of Day, 101 years
(1881-1982)

The town of Day,   pp. 11-42


Page 18

postmaster, being appointed by Chester A. Arthur,
president of the United States. However, according to
postal records in Washington, D.C., Michael W.D. Rozell
was appointed the first postmaster of the area on October
18, 1877. According to June Schalk, the postoffice was in
the Rozell home, now the Schalk residence. This was not
right in what is now Rozellville, but in the area known as
Campbelltown. Rozell served until February 2, 1879 when
he returned to Plainfield, where he had come from. He
later returned to Rozellville, and lived with a son after the
death of his wife.
Postal service consisted of a once a week delivery from
Marshfield. George Kohler was the first star route mail
carrier. Star routes were those routes served by private
contractors. George had to walk to and from Marshfield
carrying the pouch on his back because of the roads.
The second carrier was Matt Brausch, and his efforts
to take the outgoing mail to Marshfield and return with the
incoming mail each week were described as "heroic"!
This was not a term lightly used in those days. His wife,
Helen, is also remembered as hauling a good share of the
mail.
John Brinkmann, Sr. took over the postal service on
March 3, 1881 after the resignation of Beach. The mail
was handled at his general store where he did a large
barter business with the Indians. They brought in furs,
maple syrup, and ginseng, a root that grew wild in the
area. This root eventually found its way to China where its
medicinal properties were prized.
The post office was turned over to John Brinkmann, Jr.
in June of 1907. There were two more postal officials,
Laura Dick, appointed May 1, 1925, and Elizabeth Berner,
appointed January 1, 1929. With the advent of Rural Free
Delivery, the Rozellville post office was closed, and
18
service came from a rural route from the Stratford office.
During the tenure of John Brinkmann Jr. a rural route
was established in 1908. The rural carriers from the
beginning to 1919 were William Raschke, Edwin Krostag.
and Albert Raschke, and they served their twenty-five and
a half mile route in a cutter in the winter, or a two-wheeled
buggy in the summer. Albert Raschke had a four-wheeled
vehicle that resembled a stage coach of the old west.
Albert's route was eventually transferred to the Stratford
office, where he continued to serve until 1957. Star route
service was furnished by Matt Brausch, Jacob Jung,
Frank Schulz, and Leo Oppman. They carried mail,
merchandise, and passengers from Neillsville to Marsh-
field and Rozellville by stage coach.
In the 1870's, ads were published in Catholic
newspapers advertising land at $1.00 to $1.25 per acre.
This led an influx of German and Irish Catholics,
especially from the area of "Holy Hill", near Hartford,
Wisconsin. The Irish chose the Haider area to settle, and
the Germans chose the Towns of Day and McMillan.
These Germans had come from southern and western
parts of Germany, Bavaria, Hesse, and the Rhine. They
clustered in the town of Day. McMillan township was
being settled by Germans who had originally come from
the northern parts of Germany, and were not Catholic.
The settlement of Rozellville had one tavern operated
by Fred Bernitt on the corner that is now the Kraus
family's property. Bernitt owned that southwest corner in
partnership with Henry Budahn and Henry's sister
Elizabeth. They purchased it on September 8, 1879. The
following application was recorded in the town of Bergen
ledgers. "January 13, 1880 an application was received
from Fritz Bernitt and H. Budahn prayed for granting
license to keep saloon for the sale of strong spirit water


Go up to Top of Page