University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
The State of Wisconsin Collection

Page View

Colby, Wisconsin centennial

Sketches of pioneers,   pp. 18-127

Page 127

from Mel Singstock in 1957, was expanded in 1963 by Les
Willner. His son, Lessie, works with his father.
On the corner of Division and Spence is the Harmony Co-op
Feed Mill.
Next is the Dins Feed Mill under the management of Paul
Dins since 1969.
On the north edge of Colby is the Airport Bar owned by
Eldon and Millie Viets since 1968. This is located on the air-
port property, formerly constructed by Carl Mundt and later
owned by Pete Peters.
Continuing north on Hwy. 13 on the left is the Central
State Speedway, Inc. built in 1970 by Dwight and Maryann
Treankler. The track features snowmobile, stock car and mo-
torcycle racing.
Turning west on Broadway, then north on First Street we
find the Corner Cafe and Joe's Service Shop occupying the for-:
mer Henry Senkbeil Bakery and Grocery Store. The Corner
Cafe is operated by Blondie Wilde..
Aumann's Meat Market has been owned by Frank Aumann
since 1956.
Lulloffs Furniture Store is now owned by Woodrow Tesmer
who also operates the Funeral Home on the corner of Clark
and Second St.
Gor-Mar Dept. Store was purchased in 1966 by Gordon Mel-
lenthin from Robert Strathman.
Schulz Photography, Inc., established in 1972, is a branch
of Schulz Photography of Middleton, Kenneth Schulz, John
Land and Loren Schulz are the owners and operators.
Next Atty.'s Hoerl, Connolly and Paulsen occupy the old
Telephone building. Albert's Shoe Repair Shop, owned by Al-
bert Weix, and Jacobson and Sons, builders of homes also have
offices in the building.
Stanley and Delores Hesgard purchased the Town and
Country Bar from Bernard Tesmer in 1967.
The former State Bank building is known as Holly's Style
Shoppe, owned by Holly Kralcik since July 25, 1972.
Evelyn Mueller has recently opened a gift gallery in the
same building.
Hedler's Pleezing is owned by Delores and Donald, "Jake,"
Hedler since 1958. Jake and his brother, Wilfred operated the
store from 1946 to 1948. His brother, Clarence, operated the
store under IGA from 1948 to 1955.
Wickersham Jewelry was once the location of the barber
shop of Henry Reeves. Glen Wickersham has been the owner
since 1963.
The Hull Town Mutual Ins. Co. is located in the same
Ralph and Rosemary Bloome purchased the Uptown Bar
from Joe Zelinski in 1970.
Carlyons Rexall Drug Store is presently owned by L. T.
(Bud) Carlyons since 1963.
Jerry Vrana purchased his store from Joe Steinwand in
1965. In 1966 an addition was added to the store.
Security State Bank is on thecorner of Spence and First St.
Harry Feirer, Standard Oil Co. Agency has been in opera-
tion under that name since 1965.
On the corner of South Second Street and Washington, you
will find Loos Machine Shop operated by Sherman and Clinton
Proceeding north on Second Street, the Colby Clinic with
Drs. Koch, Pfefferkorn and Waters is the next business place.
Tesmers Plumbing and Heating is located on Adams and
Second St. Junior Tesmer has been in business as a plumbing
and heating contractor since 1954.
Next north is the newly constructed dental clinic of L. W.
LaVern Polster has the agency for Catholic Insurance Co.
along with Tony Beck.
West on Adams and Seventh St. is the Colonial Nursing
Going back to First and Spence Streets going west we find
the Gamble Hardware Store. Mr. and Mrs. Eugene Prien pur-
chased the store from Joe Badzinski in 1972.
Laube's Locker Service, operated by Kenneth Laube, was
purchased in 1960. The locker plant was built in 1946 by Ro-
man Stieber and operated by his son David, until 1960.
The Like New Shop was started in 1957 and operated by
the VFW Aux. until the spring of 1970. In the fall of 1970 the
shop was reopened under the direction of Dorothy Schjoneman.
Arnold Rannow began carpentry in 1941 and opened his
shop in 1947. In 1948, his brother, Howard, became hispart-
ner and they moved to a building on Spence St. In 1958 they
built their present shop. Their father, Otto, helped them until
his retirement last year.
Gebelein Silo Co., one-half mile west on County Trunk N,
originated in May, 1968, when Klyde Gebelein purchased the
silo equipment from the Johnson Silo and Lumber Co.
Edblom Carpentry, located just west of the city limits on
N, started his own business in 1970 after doing carpentry for
15 years.
Roy Langteau has been a carpenter since 1950 and a far-
mer on the east side of Colby.
The Strathman Brothers, Arnold, Edward and Harold
started working with their father, Herman, in the 1930's until
his death in 1957. They continued the business as Strathman
Brothers, Int. and Ext. Decorators. Herman started painting
in 1908, working for Otto Larmon, a painter from New York.
In 1911 he was in the painting business with Bill Wilde Sr. for
a few years.
Louis Schultz, electrician, and Earl Butler started a business
in 1936. He was also associated with Bill's Electric for awhile.
In 1959 he went into business for himself.
Carl Fischer, trucker, has served the community as trucker
since 1926.
James Morrow, is an agent for American Family Insurance.
Lee Brunker and Tim Jacobson, are the artificial insemina-
tion technicians.
DID     YOU      KNOW...
By unanimous vote of the Marathon County board in 1927,
a memorial, was adopted to the late N. P. Peterson, who had
served for many years as a member of the board of supervisors,
and at the time of his last term was the oldest resident of the
county who had ever held that position.
Raymond Marsh was employed by the Soo Line for 42
The Hazelbeck brick yards were located on the site of the
Brown Corner Bar. The bricks were used in several of the older
buildings in Colby. Hazelbecks also owned a two-story tavern
and dance hall whichburned in 1903.
Remember when . ..
Five cents worth of candy could be shared.
A bottle of pop was a once-a-week treat when the family
went to town on Sat. night.
Corrective measures when taken with delinquents were ap-
plied at the seats of their learning.

Go up to Top of Page