University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
The State of Wisconsin Collection

Page View

Colby, Wisconsin centennial
(1873-1973)

Sketches of pioneers,   pp. 18-127


Page 43

In town 28, range 3 east, northeast from the village is the
mill of Perry Swan.
In the southeast corner of town 29, about six miles north-
east of this village, is Potters Mill, under the supervision of Le-.
gare Potter.
SURROUNDINGS ON WEST: CLARK COUNTY SIDE
JACOB SIEBER
town treasurer and a carpenter, lives about 31/2 miles west of
the village.
A. STEINWAND
chairman of the town and proprietor of a cheese factory 2%
miles south and west.
GEO. STERZINGER
mason and lives 1% miles northwest.
PETER STEINBACH
manufactures ax handles, ox yokes, scale rules and cant
hook stocks. He lives five miles west of the village.
CHAS. BENTZ
stone mason lives about 2% miles west and south.
THEODORE LEHRMAN
a bird fancier, lives 2 miles northwest of the village. He
raises and trains canaries, breeding from imported birds. He
makes a specialty of German singers.
CARL MEYER
a mason, lives a mile northwest of the village.
Wm. ZASSENHAUS
chairman of the town board of Green Grove-Located six
miles west of Colby, he has a general store and post office
there. He is also interested in the Green Grove Cheese factory
where Herman Laabs is the cheesemaker.
HENRY MEYERS
proprietor of the Wisconsin House, a hotel at Green Grove
Corners.
SAW M ILLS
The mill of A. Lamont is located 2 miles south of the vil-
lage. Mr. Lamont owns one of the oldest saw mills in this sec-
tion. Later the city purchased the mill for $400 to be used for
the location of the electric light and water works plant.
D. J. Thomas's mill and broom handle factory is located %
of a mile west of Colby. He later sold the mill to D. W. Worden
of Mosinee who had a crew dismantle the mill and move it to
Mosinee.
Herman Brehm's mill is located 6 miles west of the village.
R. B. Salter's mill is located 6 miles northwest of the village.
The greatest need of the village now is a manufacturing es-
tablishment of some kind that will use up the excellent hard-
wood of which there is an abundance; perhaps a factory for
the manufacturing of cigar boxes, cheese boxes, furniture, etc.
Greatest event of the season: The original Boston Ideal
Uncle Tom's Cabin Co. at the City Hall Jan. 26th.
1885--
Fred Bredemeyer has just received a fine stock of patent
life preservers in the shape of a hoop skirt with patent com-
bination bustle. It is just the dandy thing for skating rinks or
icy sidewalks.
1886--
Prices at Albert Hecker's Meat Market:
Porter and Sirloin Steak ........... 10c lb.
Round Steak ................... 09c lb.
Roasts ........................ 07c  lb.
Soup Meats .................... 5 @  5c lb.
Corned  Beef .................... 5c lb.
1887 - -
Three white covered wagons went through the village point-
ing west.
Colby Land and Mining Co. formed when a speciman of
copper like ore was found on the farm of Wm. Eggebrecht.
Does anyone remember "Uncle Steve" Ingalls, highly re-
spected gent? He was totally blind but was able to recognize
acquaintances by their voice and would come downtown with-
out any assistance.
W. C. Pradt received a pair of snowshoes. He pranced
around the square for a time. Toward evening a stranger,
crossing the square, was struck by the appearance of the track
and wondered what kind of an animal made "that" track.
Ida and Theodore Lueloff, Nov. 25, 1903
-43-


Go up to Top of Page