University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
The State of Wisconsin Collection

Page View

Colby, Wisconsin centennial
(1873-1973)

Sketches of pioneers,   pp. 18-127


Page 29

JOHN BEYERL
homesteaded in the town of  Colby in
1878. A son, Louis, was born in 1886 on the same farm. Louis
purchased the farm about 1915. In 1948, Al, his son bought
the farm and with his wife and six children manage it.
AUGUST LULLOFF
was an early settler in  Green Grove
Township. He was married to Louisa Grambort, He built a cab-
in, carrying supplies on his back from Colby through the
woods. He served as the assessor when Colby and Green Grove
were one township. He also was a member of the school board.
In 1906 his sons, Ferdinand and Adolph purchased the fur-
niture stock and funeral business of Ralph Hart, who operated
a store in the 0. R. Briggs building on Hwy. 13. In 1908 they
erected a two-story building on Main Street and in 1918, Fer-
dinand purchased his brother's interest, continuing alone.
In 1938 he built the Funeral Home. Ferdinand died in
1957 and Woodrow Tesmer, his son-in-law is the present
owner.
JOHN OHLINGER SR.
was born in Germany in 1860.
He came to the United States with his parents in 1861.
Mr. Ohlinger bought 120 acres from John Schraufnagel in
1880, town of Hull. He married Mary Kaiser of Dodge County.
The Ohlingers raised a family of 11 children: Lena, Bert,
Theresa, Susan, Nora, Hildegard, Lawrence, Margaret, John
Jr., Loretta and Arnold.
About 1896, John owned and operated a threshing mach-
ine and hay baler, threshed grain and baled hay for many
years. Mr. Ohlinger died in 1939 and Mrs. Ohlinger in 1941.
The home has been in the family since 1880 and is now
owned by John Ohlinger Jr.
1878-
A carload of emigrant's movables, mixed with cattle, sheep,
and hogs was left at the depot consigned to Henry Schraufna-
gel, who has purchased the farm of E. J. Blaum on Section 2,
town of Hull.
Frank Sill climbed the 50-ft. flag pole in front of the Colby
House and fixed the pulley, so that Old Glory might float
there on the 4th of July. Frank was up there about 20 minutes.
The full fledged threshing machine brought to this part of
the county came last week, consigned to Steinwand & Co. It
was one of J. I. Case manufacturers, and its sight awoke such
memories in the breast of some of our honest grangers as to
bring tears to their eyes.
Hy. Reeves Sr. was a scaler at R. B. Salter's mill; the family
lived upstairs in a building where the Harmony Co-op now is.
THRESHING RIG OF JOHN OHLINGER
0
ALBERT STROOTA THRESHING RIG
-29-


Go up to Top of Page