University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
The State of Wisconsin Collection

Page View

Cartwright, Carol Lohry; Shaffer, Scott; Waller, Randal / City on the Rock River : chapters in Janesville's history
(1998)

14. Notable people,   pp. 249-261


Page 255

Lappin's Block still stands today at 20-E. Milwaukee Street. (Portrait and Biographical
Album 1889:217-218)
Lovejoy, Allen P.
Lumberman Allen P. Lovejoy was born in Maine in 1825. After a brief career as a teacher, he
became a carpenter. Lovejoy moved to Janesville in 1850 and worked as a contractor and builder.
In 1859, he established a lumberyard in the city, and, in 1868, he began investing in pine lands
and sawmills. His lumber investments paid off, and Lovejoy became one of the Midwest's most
an important lumbermen. He was also involved in the Janesville Machine Company and the
Janesville Cotton Mill. Lovejoy's political career included election to the state legislature in
1869 and the state senate in 1887 and 1889. (Rock River Valley II 1926:7-9)
Myers, Peter
French native Peter Myers came with his family to Pennsylvania in the 1820s. He moved to
Buffalo, New York, where he trained as a butcher, then came to Janesville in 1845 and opened a
meat market. Myers also invested in other businesses and business properties in early
Janesville. He supported the first railroad links to the city, invested in the city's cotton
factories, and built the important Myers Hotel and Myers Opera House blocks, the site of some
of Janesville's most important social, artistic, and political activities. (Brown 1908:874-876)
Nuzum, Dr. T. W.
Dr. T. W. Nuzum was one of the progressive, early twentieth-century physicians who helped
introduce modem medical practices to Janesville. Along with Drs. J. F. Pember and T. J.
Snodgrass, Nuzum formed the Drs. Pember and Nuzum Clinic. This clinic embraced the idea of
a "team" medical practice, where physicians pooled their skills and resources for the common
good, a concept developed during World War I. Eventually, the Pember-Nuzum clinic became
the Riverview Clinic, one of Janesville's most important medical institutions of the twentieth
century. Dr. Nuzum was also instrumental in helping persuade the Sisters of Mercy to take over
the Palmer Memorial Hospital; the Sisters developed it into the region's most important
medical center. (Forbish 1973:2)
Henry Palmer, M.D, in an engraved portrait published in 1879.
Palmer, Henry
A prominent physician in nineteenth-century Janesville, Henry Palmer made an equally
important mark on the business and political life of the city. A native of New York State,
Notable People
255


Go up to Top of Page