University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
The State of Wisconsin Collection

Page View

Cartwright, Carol Lohry; Shaffer, Scott; Waller, Randal / City on the Rock River : chapters in Janesville's history
(1998)

13. Architects and builders,   pp. 227-248


Page 240

302 S. Locust St., Old Fourth Ward Historic District.
Buildings:            Samuel Pond House, 17 S. Atwood Ave., Courthouse Hill Historic
District.
Claremont Jackman House, 69 S. Atwood Ave., Courthouse Hill
Historic District.
Court Street Methodist Church, 36 S. Main St., South Main Street
Historic District.
C. B. Conrad House, 538 S. Main St.
Allen P. Lovejoy House, 220 St. Lawrence Ave., Courthouse Hill
Historic District.
Coiling, George K.
George K. Colling was born in England and learned the carpenter's trade there. He moved to
Janesville in 1856 and entered the contracting business in 1865. In the early 1870s, Colling
partnered with his brother, W. H. Coiling, and built the Smith Block (not extant) in
downtown Janesville. During the 1890s, he was a partner with James G. Wray and William
Blair in a firm known as Colling, Wray, and Blair. The only work that has been attributed to
him at this time is the Merrill-Nowlen House. (Portrait and Biographical Album 1889:507;
National Register of Historic Places nomination form for the Lovejoy and Merrill-Nowlan
Houses, 1980; City Directories)
Home address:         222 S. Parker Dr., Courthouse Hill Historic District.
Buildings:            Merrill-Nowlan House, 202 St. Lawrence Ave., Courthouse Hill
Historic District.
Merrill-Nowlan House (1904), 202 St. Lawrence Ave. George K. Coiling, builder.
Conrad, Charles B.
While not a builder himself, Charles B. Conrad was nevertheless responsible for constructing
four brick cottages in 1882 that are among Janesville's few historic attempts at tract housing for
workers. After inheriting land in the 300 block of Milton Avenue, Conrad had four nearly
identical brick cottages built as rental houses. Now part of the Conrad Cottages Historic
District, they have retained most of their historic integrity. (National Register of Historic
Places Nomination form for Conrad Cottages Historic District, 1993)
Buildings:            312, 318, 324, 330 Milton Ave., Conrad Cottages Historic District.
Architects and Builders
240
Home address:


Go up to Top of Page