University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
The State of Wisconsin Collection

Page View

Cartwright, Carol Lohry; Shaffer, Scott; Waller, Randal / City on the Rock River : chapters in Janesville's history
(1998)

13. Architects and builders,   pp. 227-248


Page 237

Law, Law, & Potter
The Madison architectural firm of Law, Law, & Potter was one of the most respected and
prolific in Wisconsin between 1920 and 1940. A Madison native, James R. Law (1855-1952)
worked for noted architects Claude & Starck before entering the University of Pennsylvania
School of Architecture. After graduation, he worked for Arthur C. Peabody, then began his own
architectural firm in 1924. His brother, Edward J. Law, soon joined the firm, and in 1925, senior
draftsman Ellis C. Potter was made a partner. The firm designed residential, educational, and
commercial buildings throughout the state. One of the best firms designing in the popular
period revival styles, they designed two schools in Janesville, both completed in 1930. These
fine Classical Revival-influenced school buildings are still in use today. (Architect's Files)
Designs:      Roosevelt School, 316 Ringold St.
Wilson School, 465 Rockport Rd., Old Fourth Ward Historic District.
Paunack, Frederick W. (Rawson & Paunack)
Madison native Frederick W. Paunack (1869-1904) studied architecture in Chicago. In 1892, he
became a partner in the firm of Gordon & Paunack, one of Madison's important architectural
firms at the turn of the twentieth century. Around 1900, Paunack became associated with Henry
D. Rawson in the short-lived architectural firm of Rawson & Paunack. This firm designed the
William F. Palmer House in 1901. (Architect's Files)
Designs:      William F. Palmer House, 802 E. Court St., Courthouse Hill Historic District.
Peabody, Arthur
Arthur Peabody (1858-1942) moved with his family to Illinois from his birthplace in Eau
Claire, Wisconsin. In 1882, he graduated from the University of Illinois with a degree in
architecture. After working for several Chicago architectural firms, Peabody practiced alone
from the early 1890s until 1905. During this period, he remodeled Lappin's Block in Janesville
for Michael Hayes. Between 1905 and 1915, Peabody was the University of Wisconsin
architect, then became the first state architect, a position he held until the 1930s. In this
capacity, he designed over 70 university and state buildings. (Withey 1970:461; Architect's
Files)
Designs:      Lappin-Hayes Block, 2 S. Main St., South Main Street Historic District.
Riley, Frank
Frank Riley (1875-1949) a successful Wisconsin architect, designed many fine period revival
residential, educational, and commercial buildings. He studied civil engineering at the
University of Wisconsin in his native Madison between 1895 and 1897, then graduated from
MIT in 1900. He worked for a number of Boston architects until 1911, when he went to Europe for
a four-year stay. In 1915, he returned to Madison and established his own practice; he is
particularly noted in that city for his period revival residences. In Janesville, he was
responsible for two fine period revival homes on the city's east side. (Architect's Files;
Douglas and Hartung 1976:102, 208, 221)
Architects and Builders
237


Go up to Top of Page