University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
The State of Wisconsin Collection

Page View

Cartwright, Carol Lohry; Shaffer, Scott; Waller, Randal / City on the Rock River : chapters in Janesville's history
(1998)

13. Architects and builders,   pp. 227-248


Page 236

Hengels, Lt. Col. Henry C.
Henry C. Hengels (1876-1943) graduated from the Armour Institute in Chicago and began
practicing architecture in 1906, maintaining offices in both Chicago and Milwaukee. He served
at one time as Wisconsin's state military architect and engineer. In that capacity, he designed
the old Janesville Armory building, now the Rock County Historical Society. He also designed
buildings at Camp Douglas, other armories, and commercial buildings. (Withey 1970:279;
Architect's Files)
Designs:      Janesville Armory, 10 S. High St.
Jennings, J. T. W.
J. T. W. Jennings (1856-1944) was born in Brooklyn, New York. In 1877, he graduated from New
York University with a degree in civil engineering and later served as chief engineer of New
York City's Suburban Rapid Transit system. In 1883, he became assistant engineer for the
Chicago, Milwaukee, & St. Paul Railroad (Milwaukee Road). Between 1885 and 1893, Jennings
designed several railroad stations for this line, then began a private architectural practice in
Chicago. After six years, Jennings became the University of Wisconsin architect and designed a
number of buildings on the Madison campus. During this time, he also accepted private
commissions, including the old Janesville Public Library in 1902. Jennings returned to private
practice in 1906 and took F. Kronenberg as his partner in Madison. Jennings and Kronenberg
designed several buildings there before Jennings left for Arkansas in 1908, where he practiced
alone. (Architect's Files; National Register of Historic Places nomination form for Old
Janesville Public Library)
Designs:      Old Janesville Public Library, 64 S. Main St.
Kaesar, William V.
Born in Greenville, Illinois, William V. Kaesar graduated from the University of Illinois
architectural program in 1931. Between 1931 and 1933, he worked in the office of Madison
architect Frank Riley, then joined a group of architects at the Cranbrook Academy of Art to
pursue architecture and city planning. In 1935, he returned to Madison and started an
architectural practice, also serving as city planner between 1935 and 1938. Kaesar designed a
number of residential, commercial, institutional, and industrial buildings in Madison and
throughout the United States. His work in Janesville included an unusual International Style
residence, built around 1950, and two commercial buildings. (Architect's Files; Douglas and
Hartung 1976:112, 221)
Designs:      Jensen-Lyons House, 1110 Glen St.
W. R. Arthur & Company Trucking Company building, 1263 Cherry St.
Redwood Motel, Hwy 18 and Rock River Rd.
Architects and Builders
236


Go up to Top of Page