University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
The State of Wisconsin Collection

Page View

Cartwright, Carol Lohry; Shaffer, Scott; Waller, Randal / City on the Rock River : chapters in Janesville's history
(1998)

13. Architects and builders,   pp. 227-248


Page 235

L. Falk & Sons
In 1891-1892, this architectural firm designed the First Presbyterian Church in downtown
Janesville, using a style (Queen Anne) not usually found on church buildings. (First Presbyterian
Church, RCHS files)
Designs:      First Presbyterian Church, 17 N. Jackson St.
Foster, William Dewey, and Louis A. Simon
William Dewey Foster and Louis A. Simon were the federal architects who designed
Janesville's extant old Post Office building. It exhibits a streamlined modem design that
suggests the Art Deco influence.
Designs:      Old Janesville Post Office, 210 Dodge St., West Milwaukee Street
Historic District.
Garden, Hugh M.
Born in Toronto in 1873, Hugh Mackie Garden came to Chicago with his family in 1887. He
studied architecture in the Chicago offices of several noted architects, then began designing in
1893 in Illinois and Wisconsin. Garden was strongly influenced by the Prairie School and
completed many designs for houses in that style. He also designed commercial buildings and
churches, turning to period revival styles later in his long career. In Janesville in 1904, Garden
designed a small, but fine Prairie Style residence for Margaret Cargill Barker. (Zellie 1986:6)
Designs:      Margaret Cargill Barker House, 308 St. Lawrence Ave., Courthouse Hill
Historic District.
Gay, Henry Lord
Henry Lord Gay (1844-1921) was bom in Baltimore and educated in New England, studying both
art and architecture in Europe as well. Upon his return to the United States, he began working
in the New Haven architectural office of Sidney Stone, a well-known church architect. Gay
later moved to Chicago, and in 1867, he opened his own architectural office there, designing a
number of noted estate residences in the Lake Geneva area of Walworth County. In Janesville,
he designed the Archie Reid House in 1899. Shortly after the turn of the century, Gay moved
his practice to San Diego and remained there the rest of his life. (Withey 1970:231; Shearer
Collection, RCHS files; Architect's Files)
Designs:      Archie Reid House, 320 St. Lawrence Ave., Courthouse Hill Historic District.
Architects and Builders
235


Go up to Top of Page