University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
The State of Wisconsin Collection

Page View

Town of Cassel centennial
(1891-1991)

Cheese factories,   pp. 54-56


Page 55

cheesemaker from the Co-op's beginning
till his retirement in 1969, at which time it
was taken over by his two sons, Calvin
and John, who were both employed there
all their lives. They are operating the
plant to this day with an assisstant, Wayne
Hall and ten other employees.
Cassel Garden Co-op is the only
cheese factory still operating in the town
of Cassel, thanks to its many faithful and
loyal patrons.
MAYFLOWER CHEESE CO.
In December, 1914, Herbert Kufahl
leased land from Anthony Dalski, the
southeast corner of Section 14 in the
town of Cassel, for the sole purpose of
Orignal cheese factory, built in 1910
The building was purchased by EX.
Schilling and converted into apartments
for people on relief. At present, the site is
now the home of Mr. and Mrs. Casimir
Lemanski.
TOWN OF CASSEL CHEESE AND
BUTTER CO.
Little information is known about this
cheese factory as it was out of existence
for the past 60 years. It was located on the
southeast comer of the Frank Fons prop-
erty. The Town of Cassel Cheese and
Butter Co. was formed in 1919, with
Frank Fons as its president and Joseph
Fons as the secretary. Unfortunately, a fire
destroyed the building in 1930, and it
never was rebuilt.
William Rusch, cheesemaker
erecting a creamery. He started the oper-
ation in May, 1915. Five years later he
bought the place for $50.00. He was the
cheesemaker there for 11 years.
In September, 1926 a small group of
Cassel farmers purchased the property
and formed a Co-op known as the
Mayflower Cheese Co. The four stock-
holders were, EX. Schilling, William
Lang, John Koppa and Ignatz Lang. The
cheesemaker was William Rusch, and he
had a production of 10,000 pounds of milk
a day. The cheese was sold to the Cheese
Production Federation of Wausau. The
factory closed its operation in November
1929 when the milk was sold to the
Marathon Creamery in Marathon.
WISCONSIN DAIRIES
COOPERATIVE
Speculating the need for cheeseplants
in this farming community, Joseph Gold-
bach invested in a couple of factories in
Cassel. The year was 1912 and the first
cheesemaker he installed in this factory
was Leo Bleser. It was sold then, in
March, 1020 to two young men by the
names of Walter Zbinden and Xaviar
Hodel. They only had it for a short time
as in August of that year it was purchased
by two young brothers from Manitowoc,
John and Ed Lensmire. In April 1921,
John traded factories with Ray Wadzinski,
who was operating what is now the
Cassel Garden Co-op. This was a wooden
structure, and Ray was there for about
Wisconsin Dairies Coperative


Go up to Top of Page