University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
The State of Wisconsin Collection

Page View

Ingram, Orrin Henry, 1830-1918 / Autobiography, Orrin Henry Ingram : May, 1830--December, 1912

My own employer,   pp. 17-19 PDF (633.7 KB)

Page 18

hung on sash gate. Sometimes we olt only one saw, and some-
times two, for cutting the big logs. Next to that, along on the
same line, was a slabbing-gang, in which we hung sixteen saws,
eight on either side, and a twelve-inch stock, or cant, as we
called it; beyond that was a stock-gang which ran two medium-
sized stocks, or cants, side by side. In that gang we had forty
saws, and beyond that we had what we used to call a Yankee-
gang. The Yankee-gang was an iron frame with a center piece,
or stile. One side of it was hung with twelve saws-six on
either side of a twelve-inch cant, or stock. The log would be
run through the slabber, boards and slabs taken off, the stock
turned down to a set of rollers, and would go back through the
stock gang, where the lumber was taken off to the edger. We
had two ordinary edgers and a large trimmer. When the lum-
ber went over the trimmer it was dropped into this waterside
and run to the piling ground.
   I hesitate to tell you what I did in that mill that year,
for it seems incredible, but is nevertheless true. I filed and
hung every saw, including edging saws and trimmer saws; two
saws for the first English or shore-gate, sixteen saws for the
next, the slablber-gang, and forty saws for the next, or stock-
gang, and twelve saws for the slabber-part of the Yankee-gang,
and twenty-two saws for the stock part of the Yankee-gang.
I used a filing machine and bench of my own invention, which
enabled me to do the filing of so many saws as promptly as it
had to be done. Then, at night, after the mill was stopped, I
hung the saws I had filed during the day. I had a mill-wright
who would go around with me to see that every key and every-
thing else in the mill was properly cared for, to start the next
morning. During that summer the only man besides the mill-
wright I had to help me was one I took from the machine shop
the month of August to help me about the Mfling. Other than
that, I did all of that work myself, which would now be con-
sidered work for three men, at least. There were no machines
then with emerv wheels for sharpening saws. It was done with

Go up to Top of Page