University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
The State of Wisconsin Collection

Around the four corners : a pioneer history of the Washburn, Sawyer, Barron and Rusk counties

Source:

Chappelle, Ethel Elliot, 1888-1972
Around the four corners : a pioneer history of the Washburn, Sawyer, Barron and Rusk counties
Rice Lake, Wisconsin: Chronotype Publications, [1971]
262 p. : ill., ports. ; 22 cm

URL to cite for this work: http://digital.library.wisc.edu/1711.dl/WI.IHFourCorners

Search for word or phrase within this work:   

Contents

[Cover] Around the four corners

[Title page] Around the four corners, pp. [1]-2

Introduction, pp. 3-5

Dedication, p. 5

[Contents] Table of contents, p. 6

Chapter I: the men of Knapp, Stout & Co., pp. 7-13

Chapter II: the Knapp, Stout & Co. camps, pp. 14-15

Chapter III: Paul Kirkendall's story of logging days, pp. 16-25

Chapter IV: origin of our four counties, pp. 26-28

Chapter V: railroads, pp. 29-32

Chapter VI: mines and quarries, pp. 33-34

Chapter VII: early settlers in the town of Doyle, pp. 35-39

Chapter VIII: early days in the town of Cedar Lake, pp. 40-49

Chapter IX: Our Savior's Lutheran Church, pp. 50-51

Chapter X: summer homes & resorts on Cedar & Hemlock lakes, pp. 52-60

Chapter XI: Cedar Lake Inn, pp. 61-70

Chapter XII: town of Long Lake, pp. 71-80

Chapter XIII: the town of Madge, pp. 81-87

Chapter XIV: the double town of Birchwood, pp. 88-97

Chapter XV: Allison Stout's story about the Indians, pp. 98-99

Chapter XVI: tragedies, pp. 100-103

Chapter XVII: early years at Birchwood, pp. 104-112

Chapter XVIII: Birchwood hotels and restaurants, pp. 113-117

Chapter XIX: Birchwood's lumber yards, pp. 118-120

Chapter XX: Birchwood churches, pp. 121-126

Chapter XXI: the Birchwood Post Office, pp. 127-133

Chapter XXII: Birchwood's Main Street, past to present, pp. 134-145

Chapter XXIII: going west from Birchwood, pp. 146-153

Chapter XXIV: the Birchwood lumber and veneer mill, pp. 154-162

Chapter XXV: the Stout Range, pp. 163-164

Chapter XXVI: first wagon bridge at the Narrows, pp. 165-167

Chapter XXVII: fires, pp. 168-176

Chapter XXVIII: the American Legion, pp. 177-180

Chapter XXIX: early history around Lake Chetac, pp. 181-188

Chapter XXX: Garbutt's Island, pp. 189-191

Chapter XXXI: Drinkwater-Lincoln school districts, pp. 192-194

Chapter XXXII: Wooddale district, pp. 195-196

Chapter XXXIII: the Haur school district, pp. 197-198

Chapter XXXIV: Yarnell, pp. 199-200

Chapter XXXV: town of Meteor, pp. 201-204

Chapter XXXVI: the village of Exeland, pp. 205-206

Chapter XXXVII: stopping places and pine logging quotations from "Early Rusk County" by W. A. Blackburn, p. 207

Chapter XXXVIII: four short stories: first railroad in Rusk County, pp. 208-211

Chapter XXXIX: loggin' in the Blue Hills, pp. 212-215

Chapter XL: the hermit, pp. 216-219

Chapter XLI: early life in Wilson Valley, pp. 220-221

Chapter XLII: the Pribram settlement, pp. 222-228

Chapter XLIII: rebuilding at the island, pp. 229-231

Chapter XLIV: boats at Stout's Island, pp. 234-236

Chapter XLV: early day helpers at the island, pp. 237-240

Chapter XLVI: Tagalong Golf Course, pp. 241-243

Chapter XLVII: baseball park, pp. 244-246

Chapter XLVIII: Birchwood schools, pp. 247-262 ff.

[Cover]


Go up to Top of Page