University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
The State of Wisconsin Collection

Page View

Curtiss-Wedge, F.; Jones, Geo. O. (ed.) / History of Dunn County, Wisconsin
(1925)

Chapter XX: unincorporated villages and place names,   pp. 202-226


Page 210

HISTORY OF DUNN COUNTY
Dunnville in November, 1856, and official business was started in a small frame
building erected for the purpose by Romeyn Fiske. This was subsequently burned
down and the early records destroyed.
When Dunnville was chosen as the county seat, Dunn County embraced not
only the territory that is included in it today but also what is now Pepin County;
but when in 1858 the latter was set off as a separate political entity, the former
balance of material interests and voting power was destroyed and the county seat
was shifted to Menomonie. In the early 80's there was a stage line between Dunn-
ville and Menomonie, the stage running twice a week. E. W. Parker was the
contractor and P. F. Orr the driver. The Knapp, Stout & Co. Company owned and
operated their sawmill and general store up to the early 90's, at which time the place
had about 80 residents. The stopping of the mill caused the place to decline and,
as a village, it gradually disappeared, though the ouarrying of stone has largely
taken the place of the former lumber industry. (See the reminiscences of Mrs.
Thomas Huey, Chapter XXI).
Eau Galle is a small village on the Eau Galle River in the southeastern part of
the town of the same name, or in Township 36 north of Range 14 west. The
situation is picturesque, as the river here widens into a small lake called Eau
Galle Pond, caused by the building of a dam, and on the opposite side from the
village are some fairly high bluffs. It is a rural community and distant some seven
or eight miles from the nearest railroad, which is the Chicago, Milwaukee & St.
Paul.
Eau Galle is a village with a long history, though the most important events
now lie in the past. White men are said to have made their appearance on the
Eau Galle River as early as 1832, and in 1835, N. S. Manning, who had been in the
United States' service and up the Chippewa and Red Cedar rivers after lumber to
rebuild Fort Griswold, came to Eau Galle.
The real history cf the place began a few years later, in 1838-39, when Capt.
George Wales, a West Point graduate, in partnership with Thomas Savage and a
millwright styled Captain Dix, erected a sawmill here. According to a former
historian, (History of the Chippewa Valley, 1892) Captain Wales was a man of
rare business capacity but of dissolute and extravagant habits. The mill was put in-
to operation the following spring. William Carson and Henry Eaton, two young men
the former from Canada and the latter from New England, visited theriver at that time,
selected a location and began to get out square timber and shingles. Some months
afterwards Thomas Savage (a brother-in-law of Carson) and Captain Dix disposed
of their interest in the mill to the new comers and the firm became Carson, Eaton &
Wales. Captain Wales attended to the financial department of the concern until
he retired from it in the fall of 1844 and left the valley never to return. The mill
burned but was rebuilt. According to Frank Pierce, now president of the First
National Bank of Menomonie, who was in the employ of the concern for 10 years-
from January, 1889 to the latter part of 1898-first as bookkeeper and then as
manager, Mr. Savage sold to William Carson about the year 1839, and the businecs,
then small, was continued under the name of William Carson & Co. Not very
long afterward Henry Eaton entered into partnership with William Carson under
the name of Carson & Eaton. For a very short period Burrage B. Downs was a
partner. Late Elbridge D. Rand of Burlington, Iowa, came in, making it Carson,
Eaton & Rand, and it so remained for quite a long time. Both Downs and Rand
were in the concern in 1854, as shown by a real estate abstract now in possession of
B. E. Graves of Eau Galle. Downs sold out for $10,000, and in February, 1866,
Mr. Eaton sold land, and it was probably at that time that he got out of the con-
cern and went to Winona, Minn., and the subsequent style of the concern was
Carson & Rand. Mr. Rand died about the year 1887, and his estate, which was
large, was cared for by three trustees, Mr. T. G. Foster, Horace F. Rand (a son)
and Mrs. Carrie A. Rand, the widow. Mr. Foster was the active trustee, and it
was he who in January, 1889, brought Frank Pierce to Eau Galle to take the place
of bookkeeper for the firm, which proved a short step to the position of manager.
Some time before Mr. Pierce's advant on the scene the firm had discontinued the'
210


Go up to Top of Page