University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
The State of Wisconsin Collection

Page View

Rappel, Joseph J. / A centennial history of the Manitowoc County school districts and its public school system, 1848-1948

Newton,   pp. 169-180 PDF (5.2 MB)

Page 169

    The present Newton area was a part of Manitowoc Rapids when Manitowoc
county was organized. It remained so only until 1849 when Meeme was set up
ing away the southern one-third of the present Newton territory. In 1850,
the town
of Newton was organized and was composed of the present townships of Eaton,
Liberty, and Newton. In 1851, that territory was divided into the two townships
Eaton and Newton and remained so until 1857 when the town of Buchanan was
ganized from the west half of Newton and the east half of Eaton.
    During all of these changes, this area was being settled more and more.
The first
three districts were set up along the old Green Bay road and along the lakeshore
Northeim. Since Newton included the eastern half of the present Liberty township
until 1857, the numbering of the districts were according to that greater
area. Thus, the Newton school districts in 1856 were as follows: Newton 1,
No. 2,
No. 3 (now Liberty Jt. 5), No. 4 (now the Jefferson school or formerly Manitowoc
Jt. 4,
joint with Newton), No. 5 is unaccounted for, No. 6, No. 7 (now the present
7 and 8), No. 8 (now Liberty Jt. 3), and No. 9. The districts were not re-numbered
when the present Newton territory was finally defined in 1857.
                                 Eunice Wigen
    District No. 1 Newton is
now and has always been call-
ed the Newtonburg School.
When Manitowoc County was
first settled, a little burg sprang
up about one-fourth mile south
of the present school site. The
burg was located on the old
Frederick Truettner farm. Mr.
Truettner maintained a post of-
fice, which has long ago been
discontinued. In addition to the
post office, there was a black-
smith shop where the Patrick
Kealey home now stands; a
tavern, a store, and a dance
hall owned by Theodore Teit-
gen on the place where the
Jonn LueDKe house now stands;
and the school house. As years went by other farm homes, a parochial school,
church, and a cheese factory clustered around this settlement so that it
got to be
known as a "burg" and later on it was referred to as "Newtonburg".
The name New-
ton was derived from Jasper Newton, a hero of the Revolutionary War.
    Newton District No. 1 was set up in 1850 and included Sections 3-4-5-6-7-8-9-17
and 18 of Newton township. In 1859 the S½ of Sec. 17 and the S½
of Sec. 18 was
attached to Newton 2. In 1869 a part of Section 3 was attached to Newton
8, and a
part of Section 10 was taken from Newton 8. In 1882 a part of Section 7 and
a part
of Section 18 were detached. Still later a part of Section 6 and a part of
the N½
of Section 17 were taken out of the district. Today District No. 1 contains
all of
Sections 4-5-8 and 9 and all of Section 6 except the W½ of NWV4, all
of Section 3
except S½ of the SE¼4, the NWi4 of Section 10, nearly all of
the NIA of Section 17,
the NEV4 and the S½ of NW¼/4 of Section 18, and all of Section
7 except the W½A
of SW¼4 plus the S½ of the SE'A of the SWY4.
    The first school house in the townof Newton was built in this district.
It was
of logs and located on the section line between Sections 4 and 9 where the
old Green
Bay Road crossed the section line. The site of 10 square rods was purchased
Peter Kremers who got the land on a patent given by Pres. Taylor on April
1, 1850.
The first log school faced the road to the east. It was a one-story building,
constructed, and meagerly equipped, as were the homes at that time. In 1864
a volume
of reference books, two blackboards, and a set of maps were purchased. A
foundation -under the building was also added in 1864.
    In 1875 the voters decided to construct a new building by a vote of 26
to 16. It
was a one-story brick building 42 x 24 x 12 feet. The same site was used.
The old
log school was sold to W. Goetke, the highest bidder, for $25.00. The second

Go up to Top of Page