University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
The State of Wisconsin Collection

Page View

Our first 100 years, 1857-1957

The early days--1857-1900,   pp. 2-19 PDF (6.7 MB)

Page 2

   The Early Days-1857-1900
Mrs. A. Lewenstein and Mrs. William T. Ducklow
1835-White Heron built at Head of Grand
      Chute on Fox River. Present site be-
      tween Lutz Park and Alicia Park.
1847-Lawrence College received its Char-
1848-J. F. Johnston and his family were
      the first settlers in Appleton proper.
1848- Elder Sampson, Reeder Smith, Hoil
      S. Wright and Henry Blood laid out
      the Appleton Village plot.
1849-W. S. Warner set up the first dry-
      goods store.
1850-Census taken-619 people.
1850--Daniel Huntly had the first free
      public school.
1852-Eliku Spencer settled on land front-
      ing Spencer Street.
1852-Old Brown Church was built.
1853-First paper mill in Appleton, owned
      by C. P. Richmond.
1853-Appleton's first newspaper    (Cres-
      cent) founded by Samuel Ryan, Jr.
1853-Village of Appleon incorporated, with
      John F. Johnston as President.
1856-The steamboat "Aquila" passed
      Appleton on its first complete trip
      from Milwaukee to Green Bay.
1857-City of Appleton embraced Lawisburg
      on the east; the village of Appletdn in
      the center; and Grand Chute on the
1858-The Genesse Flour Mill began opera-
1861-The first railroad to serve Appleton;
      the Chicago and Northwestern Rail-
1874-Rabbi Weiss started the first Jewish
      congregation in Appleton.
1877-First telephone in Appleton, at home
      of banker, Alfred Galpin, extending
      from his home to his place of business.
1877-First gas for illumination and cook-
      ing use was brought into Appleton by
      George MacMillan.
1878-Atlas Mill began operation, producing
      ground wood pulp for a new paper
1882-On September 20, the world's first
      water-driven electric central station
      was placed in operation successfully.
      Two paper mills and one home were
      lighted electrically.
1883-Fox River Paper Corporation found-
1886-Judge J. E. Harriman, president of
      the Street Railway Company, began
      operating the first electric street-car
      on August 16.
1898-Appleton's participation in the Span-
      ish-American War; Company G of
      the 125th Wisconsin Infantry Com-

Go up to Top of Page