Milmine, Geo. R. (ed.) / Racine advocate city and county residence and business directory of Racine, Wisconsin
Town of Waterford, pp. -282 PDF (3.0 MB)
A FULL and oomplete line-of goods at W. H. JENNING'S. S. B. C. Town of Waterford. Town No. 4, i9 East. TOWN ORGANIZATION. John T. Rice, Chairman,) George Hulburt, Suiervisors. Win. Voss, A. C. Harden, Clerk. A. Lockwood, Assessor. W. Whiteley, Treasurer. Ira A. Rice, C. Berger, Justices of the Peace. D. Thompson, John Smith, Constables. W. Raymond, Sealer of Weights and Measures. Population, Males, 789; Females, 725 ; Total, 1,514. VILLAGE OF WATERFORD. The village of Waterford is situated on Fox river, about twenty three miles west of Racine and seven miles north of Burlington. The first claims to the land whereon the village is built were made by Messrs 0. W. Barnes and Beebe, who subsequently sold their interest therein to Levi Barnes and Samuel E. Chapman. The latter named gentlemen built the first log house in the village in 1836, which was known as "head quarters." The river offering unusual facilities for the establishment of a water power, it was determined to found a village, which determination was soon put into effect, and a village built, tak- ing its name from Waterford in the state of New York. In 1844,Water- ford contained one hundred and fifty inhabitants, two saw mills, two grocery stores, one public house, etc. At present it contains upwards of six hundred inhabitants, several good stores, flouring mill, (one of PADDQ(K & JANE8 represent the Mutual Life of New York.
Based on date of publication, this material is presumed to be in the public domain. Original material owned by Waterford Public Library. For information on re-use, contact the Library through the Reference Department, Waterford Public Library, 101 N. River Street, Waterford, Wisconsin 53185, 262-534-3988, (firstname.lastname@example.org).