Milmine, Geo. R. (ed.) / Racine advocate city and county residence and business directory of Racine, Wisconsin
Town of Rochester, pp. -269 PDF (2.3 MB)
PADDOCK & JANIES, Fire, Marine, Life, and Acoident Insurance. Town of Bochester. Town No. 3, Range i9 East. TOWN ORGANIZATION. W. B. Stetson, Chairman.) B. F. Hewett, Supervisors. H. B. Cheney, Reuben North, Clerk. R. S. Jackson, Treasurer. Wm. Gates, Assessor. H. Cady, J. C. Gibson, F. E. Hoyt, D. Winter, Justices of the Peace. A. H. Belden, T. White, Constables. Geo. H. Blake, Sealer of Weights and Measurers Population.--Males, 436 ; Females, 408; Total, 844. VILLAGE OF ROCHESTER. The village of Rochester, containing a population of about five hundred inhabitants, is pleasantly situated on the Fox river, twenty- three miles west of Racine, twenty-eight miles by the road from Mil- waukee, and five miles north of Burlington. The first plat of the village was made in October 1839, and embraced all the village property on the west side of Fox river and that portion east of the river, and south of Main street. The second plat was made in May 1840, and embraced all that portion of the village tract east of the river and north of Main street. The first name given to the village was "Upper Forks." It was first settled by Mr. Levi Godfrey, who came into the country in the fall of 1835, accompanied by John B. Wade. His shanty, sixteen feet square, was the first structure erected for human habitation in the town. In 1836, Mr. Godfrey brought out his family, and in 1837, James H. Gibson, Alonzo Snow, and several others located in the town. Mr. Godfrey kept the ffrst hotel in the town, opening it in 1837, It was a log building and known as the "Old Ark." Alonzo Snow was the first merchant in the place and occupied a ld- ing on the corner of Main and Front streets. In 1837, M. C. Wit- THE place to buy furniture cheap is at W. H. JIqNNINGS.I is. B. C.
Based on date of publication, this material is presumed to be in the public domain. Original material owned by Waterford Public Library. For information on re-use, contact the Library through the Reference Department, Waterford Public Library, 101 N. River Street, Waterford, Wisconsin 53185, 262-534-3988, (firstname.lastname@example.org).